JellyPages.com

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

July 6, 2016 - Wednesday in Nauvoo

The humidity had me sweating most of the day today.  I worked at the Handcart Station and mom worked in the gardens.  We were both pretty busy up until we got off, about the same time, this afternoon at 1:00pm.  We had almost 100 trekkers this morning.  The rains left one of the trails closed, but the one mile trek was the toughest, and the most followed, one today.  We had a good deal of mud on the wheels, the handcarts and the trekkers, but they all came back with a greater appreciation for the pioneers who came to Zion with the handcarts companies.  I love seeing families start out on the trek adventure fighting against working together and come back in complete harmony with their family!  Take a look at these pictures;

A young family coming back into the Handcart Station

"The willingness of the family to work together"

Morgan is leading her family as the "scout"

Here is Morgan encouraging her family up the ravine

The family all worked together bringing one of two carts up the steep hill
The above pictures tell the story of how each family member in this company worked together.  The young Morgan was their scout, and they had 7 other children and 4 adults pulling two handcarts on the one mile trek.  We were concerned about their ability since one of the children was autistic and not very happy to begin the trek.  When something triggered his temper at the Handcart Station starting point, he left the group and went and sat down.  I went over to him and offered him the little paper medal we give the kids to end the trek.  He perked up and then became fully involved in the family effort.

I came home, and got right in the shower, and mom was home within a few minutes after me.  It felt so good to be in our cooled home and cleaning up for the balance of the day!  And we had some special friends coming for lunch at 2:00pm.  Larry and Carol Sanders were in the MTC with us in October 2014 with the missionary medical training.  They were called to serve in Africa and she served 18 months as the mission nurse, while he served in member support.  They got home last month and came out to see us!  It was a fun reunion as we shared stories and experiences!

Larry and Carol Sanders
After our lunch and visit together, the Sanders were off to see some Nauvoo sites and Vignettes featuring noted Nauvoo people.  Mom and I took a nap and got ready for our Rendezvous Play.  We had two shows tonight and the Sanders made the 8:15pm show.  In the first show at 7:00pm tonight, we got a standing ovation by the audience that, to this point, was our best audience of the year!  It is interesting how that affects me when the audience gives that standing ovation.  I can see how that would become addictive!

As mom and I were leaving the second show and heading to the car, a precious little girl came running after me and asked if she could take a picture with me.  She led me to the front of the Cultural Hall and I knelt down and her mom took a picture of us together.  She then asked me if all the things I said in the play were written down in my newspaper.  She wasn't more than 5 or 6 years old.  I told her they were not, that I had memorized them. 

I mentioned to her mom that I would like a picture with her, (Alysise was her name), but I had left my phone at home.  The mom asked me where we would be tomorrow and I told her at the Handcart Station.  She said they planned on taking the trek on Friday, and then I said that we would be there on Friday as well....

Then I told Alysise that it was going to be a little muddy on the Friday trek, but it would be so much fun!  She looked up at me and she put her precious little arms up in the air and, with a grown up voice said,  "...and I am supposed to be happy about that?"....  Friday promises to be an interesting day at the Handcart Station!

Now here are some precious pictures from back home;  We love getting these glimpses from our precious family and friends!

Cambry and Levi time together

That's my mom!

This boy thrives on kisses!
Congratulations to our daughter, Ali!
Thank you for sending these wonderful pictures from home!  We so look forward to opening the attachments and mentally cuddling each one of you!  We love you!  And my final thought for the evening came from a song by country singer, Dan Miller; "It's not what you take when you leave this world behind, it's what you leave behind when you go"...

1 comment:

  1. What a fun day! Those young kids sure love you! But not as much as all your grandkids!

    ReplyDelete