JellyPages.com

Thursday, July 21, 2016

July 21, 2016 - Thursday in Nauvoo

This was a sweltering warm day at the Handcart Station.  The temperatures were in the 80's by the time we arrived at 7:45am.  Our first groups were scheduled at 9:00am and 9:30am and 10:00am.  The humidity was very close to 100%!  I was almost soaking wet by the time I got the 13 handcarts ready for our trekkers!

8:30am waiting for our first group of trekkers!






Mom and I were both working hard as we got the carts ready for the adventure!  Then our first group arrived at a little past 9:00am.  I am never surprised when groups come later than their scheduled times.  But it does warmly surprise me when they come early!  

Now here is where I have two examples that I would like to directly relate and communicate to all the grandchildren who can understand.  Mom's and dad's, would you please make these points to these precious grandchildren from our experiences today?

The first handcart group I want to tell you about was a mother, a father, an aunt and two children.  The young man was going to be 18 in November and his sister was probably 12.  The brother just got done trekking Martin's Cove and his sister wasn't old enough to go this time around.  That was the purpose of this trek so that the sister could have the experience.  As is our custom, we gave the orientation about "holding to the rod", (staying on the path to be safe), and then having prayer.  The brother was so excited to do this with his sister.  

She was in the front of the handcart and he was the pushing force from behind.  When they came back into the Handcart Station, the sister was tired and not particularly happy with the experience.  They came in pushing and pulling the cart by themselves.  The mother later explained when the kids were over in the car that the sister wanted to quit after less than a quarter of a mile.  The brother was the one to encourage them on together.  The mother and father offered to participate in pulling and pushing, but the brother wanted to savor the experience alone with his sister.  

It was interesting to note that the brother was well acquainted with the Willy and Martin Handcart Companies.  He had just completed his trek and could relate the experiences of Francis Webster and Levi Savage and others who struggled with the 1856 experience.  His sister was crying and they stopped on the trail and he told her stories about how hard it must have been for the early pioneers.  They had an additional prayer together on the trail and they kept going!  Those experiences he had at Martin's Cove helped to carry his sister here in Nauvoo.  And he showed mom and I a great deal of respect by offering to help us clean off the carts after almost single-handedly pushing that handcart for his sister...

Our message to our grandchildren is one that cannot be missed here with this sweet experience today.  There is nothing in this world that will carry us through the hard times more valuable than the relationship we have with our brothers and sisters, as well as with our moms and dads.  I was so impressed with how he was totally focused on his little sister's needs at this moment in her life.  What kind of relationship do you think they will have for the rest of their lives??

The other group I want to mention was a family reunion group of about 55 moms, dads, aunts, uncles and lots of cousins.  They had so many things planned together on this trip to Nauvoo.  The trek experience was just one of them but here is what we saw today....  many of the older cousins teamed up for their own cart.  The younger cousins went with parents and aunts and uncles.  They seemed happy when they started off on their trek from the picture we took of "best day ever!"

But there was something different about this family group that I think was missing.  That was courtesy and kindness to younger and older cousins and to the trek coordinators.  When they started arriving back at the Handcart Station we asked how the trek went.  The older cousins just looked at us and parked the handcart. When we handed out the handmade trek medals of completion, there were very few thank yous...  They did not acknowledge the efforts we made for them in making sure they had handcarts, medals and enthusiasm...

So our point tonight is to take the best of our first group and practice being the best brother or sister you can.  Make sure to always, and we mean ALWAYS, use the magic words of "please" and "thank you".  And if an adult shows you courtesy and kindness, show it back to them!  Making society a better place for us begins with one person and one family at a time!

We got finished at the Handcart Station right at 12 noon.  I was soaked to the bone so a shower was in my immediate future.  Then mom and I made the 1:00pm temple session.  There were only about 20 in that session and we were so happy to end our day there!  Because tonight is our night off!  And we are enjoying a cool evening in our comfortable safe cottage! 

Now, here are some fun pictures I got after blogging last night.  Levi is going to be one of the best brothers ever, after you see how Grandpa interprets these pictures!!!  Take a look;

The first record smile that says: thank you for taking care of me!

See that right fist:  "Best day ever!"

Not just the best day ever; but hurrah for Israel! (future missionary!)
Every single day we pray for our family and friends and we are so looking forward to a safe and happy reunion.  Grandpa is so anxious to rough some grand-kids up, and Granny is so anxious to cuddle each one of you!  Get ready!  Get set!  We are so very thankful to be your parents, and grandparents, and your friends!

And finally, on this day, I would like to pay a special tribute to my sister, Jackie Sue.  She celebrates her birthday, today.  Happy Birthday, Jackie!  I wrote her a birthday letter that I feel I need to share so that my family and friends will know how I became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Some parts of the story might be familiar, but perhaps the intimate involvement that my sister had on me will be more apparent.

Back in college, I was making some terrible choices.  It was my sister that saw more potential in me than I could see in myself.  For this special reason, I will share my appreciation and love for her with this addition to my blog tonight;



Happy Birthday Jackie!
July 21, 2016

Hello Birthday sister!  I thought that I would sit down between assignments here in Nauvoo and write a birthday note to you.  I have been thinking about this special day of yours for a few weeks, now, and Helen and I wish you the best, and hope you have a wonderful day!
I am not sure how much you may realize this, Jackie, but your influence on me and my life has been significant.  Back in college, I was not going down the best path, as you well know.   We were doing what everyone seemed to find acceptable until we met up with Ellen.  You and mom caught the vision of the Gospel much, much better than I did.
It was about six months after you and mom accepted the Gospel that Doug and I were baptized.  That was July 24, 1971.  (That date took years to have any meaning to me)  And after the baptism, it took another four years to really catch my attention as to what that baptism could mean in my struggling life. 
I distinctly remember you and Bob Kenny coming to me and asking me to be the Young Single Adult Recreation Leader.  That was about February 1975.  I had no idea about callings, Church responsibilities, or even what the Priesthood was, but you seemed to have faith in me to organize this Thursday recreation night.  How did you know it would end up being something that would be the catalyst to my activity?
Looking back on that experience over the next five months, I marvel at how much I enjoyed that responsibility.  That led to an interview with Bishop Draper for me to receive the Aaronic Priesthood, right before Longs sent me to El Centro.  Imagine that timing!  I had no idea…
In El Centro, I was a fish out of water being away from my family, but that five months that you were instrumental in providing me the opportunity to lead those Young Single Adults on Thursday nights, was just what I needed.  That gave me the courage to stand on my own, so far away from home.  It was there in El Centro that my second calling, I was ever given, was to teach the Course 17.  I had no idea what the Sunday school was all about, but Heavenly Father provided a tutorial for me in teaching that class for MY learning.
Then you came to El Centro and helped me move to Shell Beach!  What a tender mercy that was to leave El Centro after only 11 months, 12 days, 7 hours and 13 minutes of missing my Fresno family!  And it was in Shell Beach I got my third calling as the Ward Magazine rep.  I had no idea the Church published magazines so I had to subscribe and start reading.
Then you gave me a call at the condo in Shell Beach, at 118 Vista Del Mar, and invited me to San Antonio to come and meet my future wife.  How in the world did you know that?  It is one of my most cherished stories to tell people about meeting Helen for the first time!
The bottom line is that you were brave enough and strong enough to help me from the baptism stage in my life, to the active stage in my Gospel learning and growth.  I will always love you, Jackie, with all the experiences we have been through together.  But this one significant effort on your part to invite me to actively participate in the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to be a contributing member of the Church, is why I have come this far in my Church service.
I am eternally grateful for you and your prominent place in my life.  Because of you I have been fortunate to serve in a variety of leadership callings that have affected thousands of ward and stake members.  Your influence in my young Church life positioned me to be where the Lord needed me to be.  It changed my life.  And in so many ways, it has saved my life.
On your special day, I hope you have a marvelous celebration with family and friends.  You have been a choice big sister to me, and I will be indebted to you throughout the eternities.  Every birthday you celebrate in your lifetime, is a marvelous reminder to me of how your love and your influence has taken me from the terrible path I was on, to the glorious path back home to a loving Heavenly Father that I am trying hard to follow now.
We love you, precious sister!  Happy, Happy Birthday!

                 

Bob and Helen

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet note. I'm grateful for Jackie too!
    And we will teach our kids from those examples you shared! 💕

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Jackie! With your influence on my dad you have not only effected him but generations to come! Thank you! 💜
    We too will talk to our kids! Thanks dad! Love you guys! 💜💚

    ReplyDelete