JellyPages.com

Saturday, July 30, 2016

July 30, 2016 - Saturday in Nauvoo

Our Saturday got off to a great start this morning.  We had our morning devotional and prayers, and then started off on our walk around Nauvoo, at just a little before 5:00am.  It was a cool and very humid walk around our pathway, and we elected to cut the walk about a mile short to get to the Handcart Station by 7:15am.  That was the starting time of our first of five trek groups this morning.  And we had some pretty special experiences with each of the families!  I had to take two family pictures and one picture of the beautiful clouds;

I caught this picture from the fields at the start of the trek path

The Hester Family - What a wonderful spirit they had!

Jakob and his "discoveries" along the trail! (Animal bone and thorny Locust branch)
I always enjoy asking families what their favorite part of the trek is when they return back to the Handcart Station.  Well, we had Jakob tell me about the things he found on the trail.  He and his family went the 3 mile trek.  He is 6 years old and he was with his mom and two sisters.  I was so worried about this family when they first arrived at the Handcart Station, and they told us that they wanted to take the two mile trek.  That 2 mile trek is the hardest of the three trek trails!

After they had been out for two hours, which is the maximum time I have allowed on that trail, I went out looking for them.  I back tracked over half the 2 mile trail before I got a text message that they had decided to take the 3 mile trek!!  I was very impressed and could not wait to hear their story.  When they got back into the Handcart Station, the mom informed me that they learned a lot about the pioneer Saints, but they learned more about themselves as a family. 

And Jakob gave me the best reason of all why mom and I are so grateful to see these families unite like this when he said; "the best part of the trek was that I was able to go two hours without electronics"... it was the best day ever!"  Keep in mind that this is a 6 year old discovering joy without electronics!

An audience member who made my day!
The two men in this picture with me are a father and son from Indiana.  The father sought me out after our first show and wanted to know who I represented, as the Editor, from the 1840's.  I told him about Don Carlos Smith, the Prophet Joseph's brother, who was one of the first editors of the Nauvoo Neighbor.  He died of pneumonia at the age of 25 having worked in the first Times and Seasons office that was located in a building basement along Water Street  The basement had water seeping into the printing room that eventually caused the illness to overtake him.  Then John Taylor, third President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was the Editor when they moved the office to Main Street. 

He told me how much he enjoyed my performance and the story that was told.  He was very complimentary and made me feel really good for the effort.  Isn't it interesting how a kind word given with a sincere heart can make you stand a little taller and want to be a little better?

Then, here is our fix of Levi from pictures we received today.  I just hope he is as excited to see us as we are excited to see him and all of our precious family members!

Here is a happy boy after a good nap!

There is nothing quite like "bath" time!

 

4 comments:

  1. Wow you posted your blog early tonight!! Calling it an early night?!? I sure LOVE you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I completely agree about a sincere kind word! I know how it makes me feel so I really try my hardest to compliment! Thanks for the reminder. I will definitely read the story about Jakob to the kids!! Thanks! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome sauce. I love these stories! And it's true that a small word of sincerity makes a big impact at times! Small and simple things💕 Love your blog and getting so excited for you guys to come home!!!😘

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha - isn't it sad that 2 hours without electronics is such a big deal??
    I agree about the compliments. It is always a pick me up!
    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete