JellyPages.com

Friday, July 15, 2016

July 15, 2016 - Friday in Nauvoo

Finally we had another day that we could fit in our morning walk!  Mom had the 3rd Wagon Narrator assignment and had to be at the depot by 8:00am.  I worked at the Brickyard and had the 12 noon to 6:00pm shift.  That gave us plenty of time to have our morning devotional and prayers and our magnificent morning walk.  

The temperatures were in the mid 60's!  Mom took the car to her assignment and I walked down to mine.  By the time I got to the Brickyard, I was still 10 minutes early.  I helped out with two tours and then had Ross and Heidi and Jackson Lusk come for the Brickyard tour.  Of course I wanted to lead that one!  Then we got this picture;  we also heard from Ross that Shalese's heart transplant from two days ago is looking really good.  The heart is beating on its own.  Two families coming together over the generosity of one family sharing life with another....  truly inspirational news.

Our wonderful neighbors in Rigby who live right across the street! Jackson, Ross and Heidi.

It was a very busy day at the Brickyard where we had over 500 come in for tours.  The tour consists of letting the visitors know about the work of the Brick-maker and how important it is to build a strong house.  I let them know that the Brick-maker worked hard to produce 3,000 to 5,000 bricks each day.  The bricks had to be dried in the hacking yard for seven days before they could be fired in the brick clamp where the firing process heated the bricks to around 1,800 degrees, and made them strong and durable.

Then the thought hit me, and I know it was the Spirit teaching me, that if the Brick-maker stopped the process in the drying yard and did not fire the bricks at the extreme heat, the brick would not be strong enough to make a solid house....  It had to be fired, (or tried and tested at the extreme heat), in order to qualify for the kind of brick it needed to be to build houses that would last! 

Isn't that our lot in life?  We need to be tried and tested in the furnace of afflictions and challenges and trials and  set-backs to qualify for our eternal reward!  That is how our Heavenly Father prepares us for additional responsibilities and blessings.  Job seemed to have the right idea along with so many other Prophets and Apostles and fellow Saints who endure their trials and challenges so well.  A worthy goal to not just endure our trials, but to endure them well!

After mom picked me up at the Brickyard, we raced over to the Visitor's Center and picked up the handcart reservations for tomorrow.  Then we went to the Sunset stage to get ready for the 7:00pm show.  The night was so cool and comfortable!  No humidity to speak of today!  I find the show a lot of fun to participate in.  I love watching and listening to the band, and, particularly, the drummer, play his drums.  I am very impressed with the talent he has as I remember my drumming days back in the 7th and 8th grade!

The Nauvoo Brass Band is filled with talent this year!

The awesome Elder Felstead!
He autographed one of his drum sticks for me tonight!  I will find a nice place on the wall at the deli to display this Nauvoo treasure!  After he almost completes his drum solo in the song; "When the Saints Go Marching In".... he tosses  the drum stick from his right hand, into the air, and continues playing with his left hand.  And tonight, he caught that tossed drum stick!  And that made for an absolutely awesome finale!  

And now for some pictures from home:  Thank you for checking in with us!

IT looks like this boy is anxious to try out his wheels!

Dad reviewing the finer points of tennis with Levi
Cambry and Isaac on their first trip to Lagoon WITHOUT parents!
Callie and Levi having a great time together!

3 comments:

  1. I love your brick yard insights!! We must go through the furnace of affliction or the "dross" won't be removed from us... and we'll never become our best selves, our Celestial selves.❤ One of the Christian rock songs I listen to talks about how Heavenly Father is making diamonds out of us... We must learn to cheerfully and willingly submit to all the will of the Lord.❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too enjoyed you brick yard thoughts❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read your blog for a few days and I've missed it! But I definitely needed to hear your brickyard thoughts today! Tender mercy for me, thank you!💕

    ReplyDelete