JellyPages.com

Saturday, March 26, 2016

March 26, 2016 - Saturday in Nauvoo

This morning we had a very abbreviated workout since we were scheduled in Carthage.  We needed to be in Carthage by 8:45am.  That meant that we needed to leave our home by 8:15am, so we scrambled to get everything ready.  After our morning devotional and prayers, at 5:15am, I was able to take a short walk before breakfast.  I came back home and had breakfast and showered by 8:00am.  It all turned out great and we left right on time!

It was good to be back in Carthage.  We had a group ready to go just minutes after we walked in the door.  They were so excited that we would start early for them!  We had about 20 or so tours today and we got to work with Elder and Sister Black.  The testimony I have of Joseph Smith being a Prophet of God has really been strengthened, and the tours were so much fun to be involved in again.

Of course, every group has a special story to tell about.  I had one group of 5 Young Single Adult men who came over from Omaha for a two day excursion.  They saved Carthage for their last stop before heading home.  It was my privilege to take them through the movie and the jail.  The experience was wonderful and when we got down to the well outside the jail, I had a nice opportunity.  You see, this is where I tell the groups about the Oak tree.....

The Oak tree is right next to the jail, and the well, (where Joseph fell to from the upstairs window).  I always preface my remarks, here, with facts about the age of the building (175 years).  I then ask them how old they think the huge Oak tree is.  While they take stabs at the age, I suggest to them that by looking at the tree it would be a perfect "tree fort" tree.  I explain how I could build a great tree fort for my grandchildren and use one of the thick branches for a swing for Granny and Grandpa!  Then I prod them one more time to guess how old the tree is.... 

Then I tell them, after they guess in the range of 200 years, (trying to stay close to the age of the jail), that the tree was a sapling in 1958, making the tree less than 100 years old.  Then I explain that the water table is so high here in this area that the trees soak in the plentiful water without the much needed nutrients to keep its growth life in balance.  That leads me to a Gospel message of keeping ones life in balance with not focusing on one good required thing in life (like the water), but several required things (like the temple, Sacrament, Scriptures and service.  

Only with these Young Single Adult men I substituted, not just taking a Church history road trip, but dating to find your eternal companion, and bringing her on a Church historic road trip on their honeymoon!  Boy did I get a great response from that!  They said something to the effect that, "Elder Lasher, we have heard that so many times", but they were able to understand the analogy!!  I even gave them until November to find their eternal companions, get married in the temple, and come and see me!  

Then, our anticipations were finally realized!  The Jeppson's arrived in Carthage at around 4:45pm!!

What a great looking family!

Two precious Callie and Courtney birthday girls (yesterday)

Cambry playing the baby grand in the Carthage Visitors Center

Isaac playing the baby grand in the Carthage Visitors Center
We are so excited to share the next four days with our precious family!  There is no place that I would rather be than with my family for time and eternity!  Thank you for checking in with me tonight!

1 comment:

  1. So exciting to be here with you guys!! What fun memories we are making! We love you!!

    ReplyDelete