JellyPages.com

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

March 1, 2016 - Tuesday in Nauvoo

Due to the heavy wind this morning, we had to pass on the walk around the flats here in Nauvoo.  We really miss the opportunity to walk, but, fortunately, those misses have been few this winter.  We were able to work out inside, this morning, and that was very helpful for me.  I've got to keep this body working as well as possible!

Our site assignment took us to the Visitors Center for the early shift.  We had a few people come in, and two wagon rides were given, before the temperatures dropped too low.  Being in the Visitors Center has given us a little insight to the new president and the direction he wants to take the mission.  We are gearing up for the busy season with 80+ new missionaries arriving in the next eight weeks!  Things will get pretty crazy around the mission, and mom and I will try to capture some of it on film!

After the shift at the Visitors Center, we went to the sewing room for a vest alteration.  This is the second time in the last 3 months that I have had to have my vest..... taken in!  Sister Davenport and the sisters at the sewing center have been working hard to get the clothing ready for the new missionaries.  She was so kind to take a minute and fix my vest.  She even pressed it for me!!  They have done an excellent job in anticipating the flow of new missionaries coming!

Sister Davenport putting on the finishing touches

The one, the only, the original "John Hinkle" hat!
And then, as pictured above, there is the world famous "John Hinkle" hat!  I decided not to waste the left overs from eight skeins of different colored yarn to make a very unique hat.  I came up with the name that everyone in the Lasher Family is very familiar with!  If each of the grandchildren look closely at the hat, they will see some of their colored yarn in the finished product, except maybe the blue yarn!

I have really enjoyed working at both of the visitors centers in this mission.  Carthage was a very rewarding experience for me in organization and flow of guests, as well as gaining a stronger testimony of Joseph Smith.  Then, at the Nauvoo Visitors Center, I have come to love taking to people about the events here in Nauvoo in the 1840's, along with the spiritual facts associated with these experiences.  I have related to many folks about the religious beliefs of the Mormons, all centered around Jesus Christ.  I have shared with them the persecutions and the mobocracy that affected so many of these wonderful Saints.  And I have testified to them about the Prophet Joseph Smith and all that he stood for as the Prophet of the Restoration.  

People are so hungry for the blessings that only the restored Gospel can bring into their lives.  It comes down to the fact that all we need to do is testify of how the Gospel has affected us personally.  If we haven't had that kind of experience where the Gospel has directly affected our lives, it may take some soul searching to make some personal discoveries..... because we have all had them and they continue to happen every day if we will just focus on the blessings that we have as well as the blessings that we desire.... 

1 comment:

  1. That was a great idea to make a "John Hinkle" hat! ☺ I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ in my life. Knowing I have a loving Heavenly Father who has a perfect plan for me and a loving Savior who makes it possible for me to be my best self makes ALL the difference in my life... and that is only the beginning.❤

    ReplyDelete