JellyPages.com

Friday, August 26, 2016

August 25, 2016 - Thursday in Nauvoo

Well another chapter in the lives of these two senior missionaries came to a close tonight.  We participated in our final Rendezvous Play, and, as a bonus, we had two shows!  Mom and I had the leading roles as Editor and Relief Society President.  I can't even begin to describe what a privilege it was for me to be able to represent "an entire printing industry" here in Nauvoo in the 1840's.  

As I look back on the past 11 months and 68 performances, it is humbling and amazing to me that I got to participate at this level in this play.  Telling the story of the Saints who lived here during the Nauvoo years of 1839 to 1846 will always be one of the highlights of our mission.

On the average, I went over those eight, plus, pages of lines, 6 days a week for the last 13 months.  It was so important to me to be word perfect so that I could play that sensitive role, of the Editor, and a story teller extraordinaire!  And, after our second performance of a nearly filled Cultural Hall, we received a standing ovation!  This was one of our very best performances and certainly one of the best feelings!!....

As mom and I were walking off the stage in the final "Little Town" Vignette that ended the show, the audience quickly stood up and gave us that standing ovation.  I have to admit that tears came to my eyes!  And then this wonderful impression came over me that the Lord was pleased with our efforts here in the mission field.  I appreciated that more than words can express here in this blog....!  No regrets for sure and I am so excited for what lies ahead in this next "mission transfer"!

Here is a picture of Elder and Sister Clark.  We both served as Editors this past 11 months, and mom and Sister Clark were the Relief Society Presidents.  I think we had the best time working together as we rotated every week the role as Editor and Relief Society President.

The Lasher's and the Clark's
An Editor admiring a beautiful Relief Society President!



































Our day started off with our morning devotional and prayers, coupled with our walk around Old Nauvoo.  We have two more days to enjoy our early morning walks, and they have been wonderful, over the last 18 months.  We then went to our site assignment at the Family Living Center early so that I could work with some senior missionaries working on their new Vignettes.

Watching the new senior missionaries take on these frightening assignments of memorizing lines and learning the blocking, on and off the stage, has been fascinating for me.  And the ones who are filling in for the missionaries preparing to go home are doing an incredible job of learning and memorizing their lines!

Now, back at home, here are some pictures we have gotten this past few days;

One worn out precious little Kenzie!



































Levi waking up on his morning walk with his mom

I love my family!  Come and cuddle with me!


An award winning picture from Ali!





































































































Now, here are some fun pictures from our shift at the Family Living Center today.  Mom and I had fewer than 20 visitors come into the center to see the activities of the early Saints.  Take a look;

Mom teaching how candles were made
 
Mom tying the woven rugs

Here is Grandpa teaching rope making

Two sisters pretty excited about the rope making process
When I was making the ropes today, the precious girl in the red shirt was so excited about the rope making set-up.  She could hardly wait to get her family to come and listen to my presentation!  Well, my presentation is all "hands on", and I love getting the kids involved.  She and her sister wanted to know everything about ropes and making the finished product.  Even tying the ends in the "whip" was fascinating to her and she was able to learn that process as well.

But the neat part about these girls was that after we made their family rope, and I had given them the message that the rope represented, (working together makes a family stronger), they left to see some other presentations.  As I was about to start a new rope making demonstration, this precious girl and her sister came back and were watching me begin.  When I noticed them, I invited them to come up and give the presentation with me.  They quickly and happily agreed, and proceeded to give the presentation to this man flawlessly.  Even down to tying the rope ends in the whip!

Then, as they handed the finished rope to the man, they explained that this rope began with a single fiber of the Sisal plant.  With hundreds of fibers of this plant woven together, they were able to make this piece of rope that was strong  and unbreakable, unlike the single strand of the Sisal fiber!  Working together they were stronger than working separate from each other.... and they ended the presentation as the man accepted the rope!

Frankly, I was pleased, and proud, of these two young sisters learning early in life how important it is to work together.  Putting aside all petty differences, they were able to "weave" into their lives a piece of rope that would be very hard to pull apart.  That life message came to them here in the Family Living Center, under the presentation of making a simple rope!  And now, they were passing that message on!

And my thought for today;

  The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on "fighting" the old, but on "building" the new.”  ― Socrates

1 comment: