JellyPages.com

Saturday, August 13, 2016

August 13, 2016 - Saturday in Nauvoo

As the 13th of August approached this week, I could not help but think about my Grandpa Sykes.  He was the only grandfather I had growing up.  He was my mother's father and he was such a kind and gentle 6'3" man!  Thomas Clinton Sykes loved celebrating his birthday's on the 13th.  He especially loved celebrating his birthday's on the Friday's where the 13th fell in August.  

He worked for the County of Fresno Water District and was the Supervisor for the irrigation ditches that were so vital to the success of the San Joaquin Valley crops.  I think he must have known every farmer in the county, because he was always bringing home all kinds of fruits and vegetables.  And I loved the times he brought home 50# sacks of almonds in the shell.  The shells were sure hard to open and get the almond out, but they were my favorite nuts.  

One thing that sticks out in my life with my grandfather was how he took me under his wing when my father died.  I did not know it at the time, but I can look back and remember his strong arms holding me while we were watching the Thursday night fights together.  I always felt so safe and secure in those strong arms!  He loved boxing, and he loved telling me his favorite football stories of the times he played in high school.  

He would always get a chuckle out of the time he was running the football down the field, and a player was coming at him full speed to take him down.  When he saw this guy leave his feet to make the tackle, he told me how he stopped running and the guy flew, airborne,  right past him, and he went on to make the score.  I never did tire of hearing that story because I loved how much my grandfather liked to tell it!  He was there at my Fall football awards banquet at Sierra High School in 1968.  I was awarded the trophy for best defensive player and he was there to support me.  Sweet memories for sure!

Grandpa Sykes died in 1975.  That was the year I graduated from college and started my management career with Longs Drug stores.  I had just received my first promotion and was living way down in Southern California in a town called El Centro.  It was such a lonely feeling to be so far away and not able to come home for his services.  He was baptized a member of the Church in 1975 when my sister shared the Gospel with him and his third wife.  His first two wives had previously passed away.  In 1977, along with his third wife Mary, we did his temple work in the Oakland, California temple.

My assignment today was with mom at the Handcart Station.  However, we had no trekkers today and I had to go out on the trail and retrieve a handcart that a group left out there yesterday after they got bogged down in the mud.  Fun times!  I did get to see some deer out there, this morning;

This one has a developing rack!

I caught him enjoying some berries in this field

And then I found Bambi casually walking through the overgrowth
When mom and I got home this afternoon, we continued cleaning our home.  We want to make sure we get everything done on the cleaning list so that our last weekend is not crazy.  We have just 3 more Sundays here in Nauvoo!  

And tonight was the finale of the Sunset show on the outdoor stage.  We had almost 500 in attendance and they gave us a standing ovation at the end.  There were a few tears spent as we soaked in the appreciation for all the efforts made by the seniors and the Young Performing Missionaries.  I caught this picture of the audience;

Finale at Sunset by the Mississippi 2016
The Young Performing Missionary juggler
All the YPM's were able to do their vignettes as we closed the 2016 season.  They all were full of energy, and this was, perhaps, our best show.  The juggler in this picture has a special talent.  He juggles a toilet plunger, a machete and an apple.  As he juggles all three of them he takes bites out of the apple.  Then he slices the remaining part of the apple with his machete.  It is a crowd pleasing performance!  They are all so fun to watch!

So here we are, the end of the summer shows and the YPM's head home on Tuesday.  The crowds were much less than last year, but mom and I have both had some sweet experiences in our sites.  We can't wait to share the historical perspective of the Saints who lived here during the Nauvoo 1840's years!

2 comments:

  1. You need to tell us more stories of your grandparents! I've never heard this one about your grandpa! I love it! Can't believe you're home so soon! YAY! I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What near stories! I love family history stories!! I want to hear more too!

    ReplyDelete