JellyPages.com

Friday, August 12, 2016

August 12, 2016 - Friday in Nauvoo

I was awake this morning at 4:00am debating on whether to get up and get going on the day.  Mom was already up and getting things ready for our assignments.  Things took a quick turn as I saw flashes of lightening and thunder.  Then the rains began and for the next couple of hours, the heavenly sprinklers watered our lawn and the entire city of Nauvoo!  So, hey, what's another hours sleep going to hurt?

This being Friday, we were not assigned to the Handcart Station.   I can just imagine the mud on those trails!  Mom's assignment for today was as a wagon narrator on the early shift, and I went to the Family Living Center on the late shift.  We also had the evening off tonight so we got to spend a quiet evening together.

Since we have just two weeks left in the mission field, we are getting our house cleaned up and ready for the next senior couple.  This morning, before my late shift, I worked on cleaning the windows, the baseboards and the polishing furniture to help make a dent in our cleaning list.  We are almost completely done with the final list, and we still have the two weeks remaining.  

The rain persisted through-out the morning and into the early afternoon.  I had just gotten home from taking mom to her wagon depot, when I got a call from the Rendezvous director, and was asked to come to the Cultural Hall to help a new missionary couple with their Vignette.  I had just passed by the Cultural Hall only five minutes earlier!  Well, I drove back down and helped out the best I could, and then came back to the house to get started on the cleaning list.

Mom at the wagon depot - "Best Narrator ever!"
It is always a treat to work with families, in the Family Living Center, especially in making ropes.  The visual activity of making the rope, and having as many family members as possible working on it, is a tremendous lesson in family teamwork.  Another equally important activity in this mission to teach family teamwork is at the Handcart Station!

Well, I had this one family who came in and wanted to know what things were available to see and do.  I told them all the possibilities and suggested they see them together.  They had one pre-teen daughter that did not want to go anywhere but the candle making station.  But most of the kids wanted to make a rope.  So we let them divide, and in the back of my mind, I could see this girl wishing she had stayed with the rest of the family. 

Here is how I present the rope making.  I will tell them the history of the Sisal plant and where it is grown and the process it goes through to make the fibers for the ropes.  Then we make a rope with everyone assigned a part in the rope making process.  They are all busy and focused and are so excited as the fibers turn into a rope.  We then tie off, (or whip), the rope and we talk about how strong the rope is.  And I suggest it is strong because their family made it together and that families can be just as strong by working together, playing together, treating each other with kindness and patience, and learning the Gospel together.  

I then tell them that the rope they made looks to me like a "museum quality" rope.  I suggest that even though we normally give the rope to the family, that this one should probably be sent to the "museum of awesome ropes"....  They then pretty much convince me to give them this awesome rope and I have them make me a promise.... Every-time mom holds the rope up from the front seat of the car, as they are traveling back home, that they stop whatever they are doing and remember how fun it was for them to all work together in making this awesome rope as a family. 

Sometimes I even add that their particular family probably never argues or has contention in the car ride across the country, but in the remote chance that they might have an issue or two, just remember how good you felt making this rope together!  What was significant about this family, was the young daughter who only wanted to see the candle making demonstration came over to the rope making station and wanted to be a part of the festivities.  

I started to explain that there was usually only one demonstration of rope making per family and that our choices may sometimes offer regrets... she wanted so badly to be with her family and make a rope with them again.  I consulted with the family and asked them how important each member of their family was, and if they thought we should do one more rope.  Guess what their answer was???  We made another rope.  Such a sweet reinforcement of families sticking together!!

Then I suggested they go to the bread demonstration!

Bread straight out of the Bustle Oven
Now for some news from home.  We have a grandson who is approaching three months old!  Levi is such a precious little boy!  Here are some pictures and my captions...

Dreaming about meeting Granny and Grandpa Lasher ..... soon!

Pure joy in seeing his brother and sisters

And more pure joy in seeing mom and dad!

And then hearing my picture is on Grandpa's Blog.... I can't contain myself!!!













.

No comments:

Post a Comment