JellyPages.com

Friday, November 13, 2015

November 13, 2015 - Friday in Nauvoo

We woke up to a cold morning here in Nauvoo!  I was up at 5:00am, and probably an hour after mom got up.  We had  our morning devotional and prayers and then our daily and much anticipated walk around Nauvoo.  We were both bundled up and felt pretty warm after the first mile or so!  We were home by 7:00am so our walk was just over an hour.  It is always a great way to start the day!

I had my assignment at the Blacksmith shop and mom was at Brigham Youngs Home.  We worked within a half block of each other!


A cold and clear morning in Nauvoo!
After dropping mom off at the Brigham Young Home I walked around the block to the Webb Blacksmith shop and began my day.  I am working with Elder Lowe and this is the 2nd time we have worked together.  I really enjoy working with him and he has had a wonderful history of family entertainment.  I asked him to bring his trumpet with him today!  Here are some details about the Lowe Family;

"THINK COLOSSAL. Then think beyond. Only then do you have an idea of the titanic amount of talent within the musical Lowe Family." For those who have never seen the Lowe Family perform, the words of entertainment reporter Julie Kilmer seem to offer a glimpse of what they could be missing. Indeed, with over 250,000 hours of practicing, 10,000 music lessons, 50 instruments, and 25 years entertaining, the Lowe Family had earned the reputation as America's Most Talented Family.
Through music, song, and dance, the Lowe Family shares their talents via TV, radio, and live performances throughout the world. Versatile with many instruments, the Lowes offer an amazing blend of show-stopping classical, Broadway, Irish, jazz, bluegrass, old-time favorites, spectacular dance, 6-part harmony, gospel, and more.

Check out and google "Lowe Family" and listen to some of their music!  He is such a great trumpet player and all his family are pretty amazing musicians.  They have performed in many venues and on stage with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir! 

As we began our day, this morning,  I was in the Blacksmith side of the site, and he was in the Wheelwright side.  He came to me and told me a mouse was trying to get in my jacket, so I retrieved the jacket and hung it up in a little safer place!  Then, the thought came to me to move my lunch off the workbench.  When I reached for the bag, guess who was in there???  That's right, that little mouse.  We had not been there more than 10 minutes!! I quickly rolled up the bag, and said my goodbyes to my lunch,  and tossed the package in the trashcan outside the building.  Disgusting...

Well, we had a good laugh about my little misfortune and Elder Lowe quickly offered to share his lunch later on....  We got to talk a little bit about his entertainment life and I found out their last performance was over four years ago.  He said they had a wonderful family relationship during those years and that they had turned down so many bookings when sponsors were beer companies, or the venue was not family appropriate.  He is such a kind man!

Well, take a look at this couple in this picture below;

Nathan and Kayla

Elder Lowe in the background
Here is the story;  Nathan and Kayla came into the Visitor's Center last night around 5:15pm.  They were coming in to get their Rendezvous tickets.  They saw mom and I perform!!  I had to find out more about them so we started talking and found out they were newly married and had a goal of being sealed in the San Diego Temple.  I asked them when they planned on the temple sealing.  They informed me that they hadn't set a date.  I said, "then you really don't have a goal.... to have a goal, especially like a temple sealing you need a date".

Well, they have some things to work on so Nathan told me as he looked at Kayla, "2020".... and Kayla  quickly added, January 13th!  The January 13th is the date they were married and 2020 was the first time they put the goal to a year.  So I invited them to the Blacksmith shop today, since I was assigned there, and told them we wound have a little "ceremony" to firm up their goal.

Before they came to the Blacksmith shop today, I was talking to Elder Lowe about playing his trumpet for them.  He hasn't played in four years, but he did bring his trumpet as I had asked him to do last week.  In fact, he brought four of his trumpets!  I asked him if he would play, "I Want to See the Temple", from the Primary children's song book.  So, when they came in, and after I had given them Mary's story on the Prairie Diamond, they got their rings.  Then Elder Lowe played that precious song for them.  In addition, Elder Lowe played his wonderful rendition of, "I Am a Child of God".... now here is another tender mercy;  this was the first song that Nathan heard as a young man when he first met the missionaries!

Then, as a continuation of this marvelous story, Nathan and Kayla went to the Brigham Young Home to see mom.  Kayla told mom about her experience with the missionaries....;  she was really struggling early last year with lots of challenges.  She had just married Nathan and it was a particularly hard morning when Nathan had to leave for work.  As he left he told her to "be sure to pray".

You see, Kayla was feeling that life was not worth living and that she was ready to take her life.  After he left, she said a prayer and asked Heavenly Father if He really knew her and cared about her.  She finished her prayer and went to the kitchen and took out a knife, ready to take her life.  At that moment, a knock came at the door.  When she opened the door, there were two missionaries standing there from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints....  Yes, precious Kayla, your Heavenly Father loves you!

Well, this was no chance meeting for us, and tomorrow is their last day here in Nauvoo.  They need to get to a job site and will try to get back here before we leave in January 2017.  But, for tomorrow, they will come by the Visitor's Center and I will have some more information for them.

How was that for a great day in Nauvoo?  Sometimes we wonder just how helpful we really are in the great, Plan of Happiness..., But for today, Mary's experience with the Prairie Diamond, our experience with Nathan and Kayla, and my wonderful association with Elder Lowe, brought some comfort and hope to a couple who "just happened to make some extra time to visit Nauvoo".... No, I don't think this was any accident today!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Very neat story! Glad the missionaries listened to the promoting to go to her house. Just shows you how important it is to always listen to every prompting you receive. Even if it might seem "silly"....

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all NASTY on the mouse in your lunch!!! I think I would've had a heart attack!

    Second- that was a pretty neat story on that couple!! I love how Heavenly Father works in our lives down to the minute we need him!! Crazy!! I'm glad you guys had the opportunity to meet them!

    ReplyDelete