JellyPages.com

Monday, September 7, 2015

September 7, 2015 - Monday in Nauvoo

Labor Day 2015 in Nauvoo!  Mom and I began our day with our morning prayers and devotional.  We took our three mile walk and discovered that rain had fallen sometime this morning, as we left the front door of our little home.  However, It was not raining at that time, so we proceeded on with a nice walk with somewhat warm and humid conditions.  It was around 70 degrees this morning at 6:00am!

We came home and made final preparations for the day.  Mom had her site assignment at the Sarah Granger Kimball home and I had my assignment at the Blacksmith Shop.  Mom's shift was 8:45am to 3:00pm and mine was 11:45am to 6:00pm.  The Sarah Granger Kimball home is about a mile away from our home and we wanted to walk there together.  However, as we walked out the front door it was raining!  So mom took the van....  

I hung around the house and read and napped a little and then decided to check outside.  It had stopped raining, so I decided to walk over to the Sarah Granger Kimball home and see how mom was doing and then walk to the Blacksmiths shop.  The Blacksmith's shop was about a mile away from the Kimball home!  I had not seen this Kimball home up close, and I haven't gotten a picture of mom going to her site, so I took the walk and got this picture;

Sarah Granger Kimball Home
Here is some information about this special sister in the history of the Relief Society!
"If you live up to your privileges, the angels cannot be restrained from being your associates.”

From the Life of Joseph Smith

In the spring of 1842, members of the Church in Nauvoo were busily occupied with the work of building the Nauvoo Temple. Two such members were Sarah Granger Kimball and her seamstress, Margaret A. Cook, who, while talking together one day, decided to combine their efforts in order to help the temple workmen. Sister Kimball said that she would provide fabric so that Sister Cook could make shirts for the men. The two women decided to invite other sisters to join them in forming a ladies’ society to further their benevolent efforts. Sarah Granger Kimball recalled: “The neighboring sisters met in my parlor and decided to organize. I was delegated to call on Sister Eliza R. Snow and ask her to write for us a Constitution and By-laws, and submit them to President Joseph Smith prior to our next Thursday’s meeting.”
The Relief Society was organized in Nauvoo on March 17, 1842.
The day of organization of the Female Relief Society
On March 17, 1842, the Prophet Joseph Smith organized the Female Relief Society of Nauvoo.“The Church was never perfectly organized until the women were thus organized,” the Prophet declared.

After looking over the proposed constitution and bylaws, the Prophet pronounced them the best he had ever seen but then said: “‘This is not what you want. Tell the sisters their offering is accepted of the Lord, and he has something better for them than a written Constitution. I invite them all to meet with me and a few of the brethren … next Thursday afternoon.’”
Accordingly, on March 17, the Prophet, accompanied by Elders John Taylor and Willard Richards, met with 20 women of all ages in the upstairs room of the Red Brick Store. The Prophet officially organized the Female Relief Society of Nauvoo and taught those present about the purposes of the new organization. The sisters elected Emma Smith as president of the Relief Society, and Emma selected her two counselors. The Prophet then read a revelation received 12 years earlier in which the Lord assigned Emma to collect hymns for publication and designated her as an “elect lady” (D&C 25:3). Emma Smith rose to speak, emphasizing the society’s vast potential: “We are going to do something extraordinary. … We expect extraordinary occasions and pressing calls.”

Along my way to see mom, I had a moment of reflection when I saw this picture opportunity.  Can anyone tell me what this might remind you of?

Central Park - Fremont.  Getting ready for girls soccer!  (Only in Nauvoo!)
I was back working at the Blacksmith's shop for the first time in about six months.  This is where we make horseshoes and prairie diamonds.  The information was pretty easy to remember, especially the story of the prairie diamond that Mary shared with me!!  I have told that story to teenagers dozens of times already!

Well, that was our day in Nauvoo today.  We came home and had a practice session for the Editor part.  I so appreciate the help that mom gives me as she helps with the rehearsals here at home.  I still don't have a set date for my debut, but I am using the time to firmly set the lines in my mind.  Thank you for all the prayers and the encouragement!

2 comments:

  1. Love that quote!
    Awe memories of cleat filled geese poop! How could forget! Great memories! Love you two so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally thought of soccer games before I read your description!! So funny that we could all think of the same thing!

    ReplyDelete