JellyPages.com

Thursday, May 31, 2018

31 May 2018 - Thursday

31 May 2018 - Thursday

Wow!  The last day of our first full month here in the mission field!  And what a full day it was as we had the opportunity to shadow host our first group of trekkers.  We were being shown the ropes from a missionary couple who have been here before, so the experience was very helpful.  However, I am looking forward to just Granny and I doing this together going forward!

Actually our day began with our wonderful morning routine of prayer and scripture reading together.  What a great way to begin the day!  Then I took my three mile walk along the entry road to the Missionary Village.  It was in the low 50's this morning, and nearly perfect temperatures for my morning constitutional!  I did catch another great sunrise;

The puffy clouds adds a nice morning touch!
By 7:15am we were off to open the Visitors' Center at Martin's Cove.  We had the 8:00am until 1:00pm shift and then over to the Outfitting Center to meet the trekking group from Montana.  They finally arrived at 2:00pm.  They had about 200 trekkers and support people with them.  It was a good sized group and they had good attitudes as far as I could tell.  Remember I was shadowing a veteran!  I tried to listen intently and learn as much as I could.  Some of his information the Elder was giving to the trek group was not all that accurate, but you can tell he loves being here, and being the "go to" man for the trekkers.  Here are some pictures I took of our group;

Getting the handcarts ready for the anticipated group!  Beautiful skies!

Gathering for the Fort Seminoe presentation of 200 trekkers

Our first stop on the three mile trek to the Cherry Creek campground
We got them out to the Cherry Creek Campground within an hour.  The Elder and Sister and the Camp Host missionaries wanted to accept an invitation from this group for dinner.  Mom and I were ready to head home, so we respectfully declined.  Those hungry teenagers, I am sure,  were very appreciative of not having to feed two more people!  And mom and I were tired, and ready to relax for the evening, in our little living space here in Missionary Village.  And I was so anxious to get those boots off my feet!  I am not convinced they were the best investment!  

The folks mom and I got to talk to were very nice, and so willing, and anxious, to give these youth a special experience!  We will join them tomorrow at the campground at 7:30am to get them ready for their major trek tomorrow.  That part of their experience here will cover another seven or so miles, and then they will come back to this same campground for their last night here at Martin's Cove.  

They will then head back to their homes in Montana after a lunch stop at Sixth Crossing on Saturday.  It has been a great day and we are so thankful to have had this experience with them today!  It will just keep getting better, and we will share these experiences here in the coming days and weeks!

3 comments:

  1. Glad the first day went great! You need new hiking boots and a little tub to soak your feet in after those long days!! It's amazing what a foot soak in hot water can do for tired achy feet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ali, get some new shoes!๐Ÿ™ƒ
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That stinks about the shoes- probably literally as well (after you took them off๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚)- you need some good shoes to get you through all those miles you will be trekking. But glad you were able to get that first day behind you! ❤️ Love you!!

    ReplyDelete