JellyPages.com

Monday, February 1, 2016

February 1, 2016 - Monday in Nauvoo

We had a little different preparation day today.  I was slow to get ready for the day when I got sidetracked in writing up some mission notes.  That put me back by about 45 minutes.  This was after our morning walk, so at least that was on time!  Our Mondays have been pretty open for us the past few months, but tonight we had Rendezvous on the schedule.  That meant that the whole day was not our own!

After our morning devotional and prayers, and walk around Nauvoo, and my mission notes, we were ready for our trip to Keokuk.  I am being very careful with the spending of money.  We went straight to the grocery store and got the basic supplies and got back home by 11:00am.  

I finished up another knitted hat and started another one today after we got back home.  But on our way back from Keokuk we saw several eagles.  Take a look at this picture and see if you can see him.  I caught the picture right before I got a phone call.  As we were talking on the phone he flew off and I missed a pretty good shot of his spread wingspan flight!

The eagles are plentiful along the highway to Keokuk next to the Mississippi.
His flight from this branch was magnificent and he headed to the water for some fishing.  He landed on the ice, out about 100 yards from the shore, and then I lost track of him.  Good times!

We had our Rendezvous Play tonight.  We had 7 in the audience including our new mission president and his wife.  Mom and I had the smaller parts tonight so no pressure for us!  I think the show went well.

Then, my final thoughts go back to Father Lehi.  I keep thinking about all that he had to go through with his family and his friends.  Back in his day there were many prophets who came to testify of the wickedness of the people and Lehi got called at about 600 BC....  I can't imagine how he must have felt when friends mocked him, when he had to leave his wealth behind, and, when, along the way, his sons murmured, and his wife murmured.  Then Ishmael's family turned against him, and food became scarce, and Nephi's bow breaks, and his brother's bow's lose there spring.... and on and on.  It must have been such a Job experience for him.  I know the Scriptures are written for our day..... how would I have reacted?

It is surprising and sobering to see that he, too, murmured against the Lord, but only briefly.  He recognized the wrong he had done, and he quickly got back on track.  And the most powerful record, in the Book of Mormon, was where Nephi never wavered.  What an example of staying true to the faith!  

But I also note that there is hope that when we do stumble and fall, we can get back up and press forward with renewed faith and energy.  This is our time to prepare ourselves to meet our God, and if we do fall, He will help us get back up, if we allow Him to!  Isn't it wonderful that we can work together in this great cause?

1 comment: