JellyPages.com

Sunday, January 31, 2016

January 31, 2016 - Sunday in Nauvoo

The last day of January was overcast and a little warmer.  We were able to walk to our church meetings.  After preparing for the Sabbath Day with our morning devotional and prayers we left the house for the Visitors Center.  We had the Sunday School lesson and I wanted to make sure we had everything that we had set up yesterday still in tact.  

Our Sacrament meeting was uplifting, and I had the opportunity to help pass the Sacrament.  I could not help but think of Zac being ordained a Deacon here and having him help pass the Sacrament!  I know summer schedules are really tight in Idaho with work and the cost of travel, but it was fun to think about the possibility!   Each of the speakers were assigned the topic of forgiveness and they did a good job in covering their assignment.

We went to the Visitors Center after our Sacrament meeting in the Stake Center, and made the final arrangements for our lesson.  I enjoyed giving the lesson with mom, and we were able to make our point and stay within the time allotted.  Each missionary couple will teach one Priesthood/Relief Society meeting during their mission here, one Sunday School class and one Sacrament talk.  We have completed two out of three so far!

Mom and I broke our fast with our breakfast for lunch menu and shared it with our friends, Elder and Sister Ramsey.  We sure enjoyed our time together for lunch and for discussion.  Elder Ramsey got me started on knitting hats.  He has a goal of knitting 100 hats and I think he might reach that goal before March of this year.  I have completed 9 so far and have started my 10th hat this afternoon.  He helped me get some yarn untangled this afternoon, as I documented in the following picture;

Elder and Sister Ramsey
It has been fun getting to know them.  They are also in our cast in Rendezvous, so many of our family might recognize them, or will get to meet them, this spring and summer.

Sometimes we get weighed down with the cares of the world.  It is easy to get sucked into various scenarios and experiences that can be overwhelming to the heart and soul..., I think about Lehi being a Prophet of God.  He was pretty strong and powerful as a Prophet and was able to follow the Lord, and keep His commandments, at least most of the time.  He did become discouraged when Nephi broke his bow and they could not obtain food.  Remember how he murmured against the Lord along with the rest of his family, except Nephi?

How was Nephi able to stay so positive with his, "I will!", attitude?  What a contrast to see a Prophet murmur and a faithful son stay faithful and obedient to the Lord.  I have pondered this throughout the day today.  Sometimes missionaries have challenging days!  Then I thought about this example as it came up in this lesson today.  Under such challenging circumstances in Lehi's time, and in such challenging times as we face today, isn't it wonderful to have the example of Nephi and his always righteous ways?  

It just shows me that maintaining a positive attitude, and a righteous disposition, over all challenges that are given to us, will best serve us in strengthening us and helping us.  We need to be able to take on more responsibilities in helping to build His Kingdom!  The Lord needs strong and capable disciples to carry His work forward in these last days.  The Adversary knows that his time is very short, and he is doing all that he can to get us off the track.  For me, that just means that I need to work harder and stay strong in the service of Him who will assist us in every challenging detail of our lives.  I needed to know, and ponder, about Lehi's slip so that I could better appreciate Nephi's strength.

1 comment: