JellyPages.com

Thursday, February 4, 2016

February 4, 2016 - Our 39th Wedding Anniversary - In Nauvoo

We had a wonderful anniversary today.  It was cold but no wind was blowing so our walk was invigorating as always.  We were up and getting ready for the day by 5:30am.  Of course mom was up earlier... We had our morning devotional and prayers and enjoyed the walk around Nauvoo.

I had an appointment in Carthage for my hair cut today, and we drove out there for the 10:45am appointed time.  We got back just in time for our lunch and then we were off to the Visitors Center for our late shift.  We had a few more visitors today here at the Visitors Center.  We are preparing to do the annual re-enactment of the Exodus of the Saints from Nauvoo.  The events begin tomorrow and go through Saturday, and people are starting to arrive for the weekend events.

What a privilege it is to be here on the 170th anniversary of the Exodus from Nauvoo.  On February 4, 1846, the Saints began that exodus.  They left their beautiful homes and gardens, and their magnificent temple, and were forced to leave almost everything behind to take this journey.  They had a few short months to build and pack over 2,000 wagons, with very basic supplies, for a trip to the Rocky Mountains.  Most did not even know what was ahead of them but they were willing to follow a Prophet of God.  

The Rendezvous Play is a production about their lives and experiences, and, ultimately, their decision to follow the Prophet.  It was such a blessing to perform that show tonight in front of over 50 guests, in the audience, on this anniversary!  I think our performance was aided by some of those pioneers tonight from the 1840's!  I felt a sweet presence with me as I delivered my lines!

It is interesting to note some of my history here.  I was baptized on July 24, 1971.  July 24th!  I had no idea what the significance of that day was for many years in the Church!  That was the day the Saints arrived in the Salt Lake Valley.  And then when mom and I were married on February 4, 1977, we had no idea what the significance of that day was!  It wasn't until we accepted a mission call to the Illinois, Nauvoo, Mission that we were able to learn about the significance of this day.  It was the day the Saints began that trip to the Rocky Mountains and the Salt Lake Valley!

It was such a sweet experience tonight, for me, to represent the printing industry in the 1840's!  The tender mercies that the Lord has for us are innumerable.  He blesses us in so many ways and today was one of those special days for us.  

In 1977, mom and I set the foundation stones for our children and grandchildren.  As I look back from today to that wonderful day in February 1977, I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me and my family!  And the blessings continue to come as our faith grows and our determination to serve increases.

1 comment:

  1. "How beautiful"! That's what the kids said as I finished reading your blog post to them. Not sure why I didn't think of this sooner... We are so grateful for you and your example!!❤ Thank you! We just read all the John Hinckle stories as well... Lots of good laughs!!

    ReplyDelete