JellyPages.com

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

February 3, 2016 - Wednesday in Nauvoo

It was 39 years ago, tonight, February 3, 1977, that mom flew in from Austin, Texas, to Los Angeles, California, to marry me in the Los Angeles Temple.  Imagine that!  We were set to see each other for the third time since our very first meeting, on October 29, 1976.  We met in San Antonio, Texas, through my sister Jackie.  I was working for Longs Drug Stores in Santa Maria, California, and Jackie was in San Antonio for nurses basic Army training for her Army reserve unit.  She met mom there in San Antonio and called me while I was living the bachelors life at Shell Beach in California's central coast, and suggested that I come out to San Antonio and "meet my future wife".  

Being the obedient brother, I did just that!  I had just completed the grand opening of the brand new Santa Maria Longs, and we had just worked hard for the previous 8 weeks to get the store ready to open.  My manager gave me the long weekend off after the very successful grand opening, and the stage was set.  We celebrate our 39th wedding anniversary tomorrow!

We had our weekly training meeting today and just before the meeting began, the new mission president came by and acknowledged receiving my letter of suggestions.  Let's see what that means in the coming days!  The meeting went well and mom and I separated for our site assignments.  She worked at the Scovil Bakery and I worked at the Tin Shop.  Neither one of us had any visitors.  But I did complete another hat!

Tomorrow will be another milestone in our lives.  Marriages don't normally last for 39 years in this day and age.  And especially with such minimal dating and getting acquainted times that lead up to marriage.  This truly was a match made in Heaven because it wasn't something we could have done on our own.  Mom was told many times that her future husband would, "never walk up to your door"... That she would have to go out and hit the gentile dating scene.  She refused to do that and preferred waiting on the Lord's timing and dating in the Lord's way.  Lucky me!  And the Lord knew how pathetic I was in finding my eternal mate, especially with my dismal start in the Church.

But, Heaven has looked down on me very favorably over the years.  Married life was started on the left foot so to speak.  We got married in February 1977, and began living together in May of 1977.  She had the Army commitment in Texas and I was moving fast in my career path at Longs in California.  Trying to get her a transfer to California failed miserably, and it was time for me to leave my career and begin our married life together in Texas.  What an absolutely amazing adventure!

It was difficult to get to know each other for the first few years.  We had so many obstacles to overcome and we are still "getting to know each other".  Full time senior missions have a way of helping that process!  We have successfully discovered that this eternal relationship depends on including our Heavenly Father.  And we have learned so many times how patience, thoughtful consideration of each other, humility, and prayer are needed every single day.  I am still learning my lessons.  I want to be better for her, and I need my Fathers help to be the best I can be.....  so much to learn and so little time!  Thank goodness she is forgiving and patient with me!

Oh, speaking of being considerate, I need to make her an anniversary card!  Here's to the next 39 years!  (However, we will be home for #40!)....  Thanks for joining me tonight!

3 comments:

  1. Home for #40... ☺ Plans are already being made.❤ We are so grateful for your decisions that have impacted generations!!❤ Happy Anniversary!! We look forward to #40! (Wink, wink) We love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home for #40... Oh plans are being made.☺ We are so grateful for your decisions that have impacted generations!!❤ Happy Anniversary!! We are looking forward to #40!! (Wink, wink)☺ We love you!❤

    ReplyDelete