JellyPages.com

Tuesday, September 25, 2018

25 September 2018 - Tuesday

25 September 2018 - Tuesday

We had a late schedule today at the Visitors' Center.  Our shift started at 2:30pm this afternoon and went to closing at 7:00pm.  That gave us the entire morning and half the afternoon for various activities around the trailer.  The morning temperature was 29 degrees.  When we started out on our walk, this morning, this is what we saw;

That is a layer of ice over the entire car!
 
We did not realize that we had a full moon!  Picture taken by the cattle guards 


The morning "ice breaker" coming up over the Martin's Cove area
Even though we had the low temperatures, the walk was brilliant with no windchill to make it uncomfortably cold!  The sky was so clear, and the surrounding mountains were equally brilliant in the morning air.  

We read and listened to Mike Stroud podcasts this morning.  I even took a mid morning nap!  Go figure a senior missionary taking a nap??  It was wonderful!  Then we left for our assignment at about 1:45pm.  When we got to the Homestead, the Visitors' Center was very quiet.  Both the Smarts and the Bowden's were working together, and serving their last shift.  Both couples have been here over the winter, and they are the last of the second year missionaries to leave the mission.  They will both head out on Thursday morning, and they have tomorrow to prepare to leave.

Mom and I had a variety of wonderful visitors this afternoon.  There were at least six couples, and a family, that came and took the hike to Martin's Cove.  It was a near perfect day for the hike and the highest temperature was in the very low 60's.  In fact, our last hour at the Visitors' Center was pretty cold.  I kept looking for some sun rays to warm up with!

Two missionary couples working together?
As we were experiencing some quiet time at the Visitors' Center, I noticed this picture opportunity.  On the left are two men pumping the vault sewage.  One of the men watched as the other held the hose.  On the right are the two wives watching from the Rover.  This process took about 45 minutes and it led me to the question;  "how many senior missionaries does it take to pump out the vault sewage?"  After the tank was pumped, they all jumped into the truck and took yesterday's meals on wheels to the dumping station in Casper.  Then they stopped and grabbed an ice cream on the way back!  I am not sure I would have been hungry if I had this job.....

Such a clear day to see Split Rock 21 miles away

The mule deer arriving at the Homestead to trim the grass this evening

The view going back to Missionary Village of the sky on fire!
This morning, mom saw an article in the Deseret News about hugging.  It caught her eye and she read the information on how hugs affect children.  This particular emphasis was on trading hugs for time on social media, but I thought how important this is everyday!  I want to take more time for hugs with our family members. 

You just don't know how much you miss these hugs until they are gone.  Our solace is that we are still coming back home!  This time we will have a greater appreciation for the love and support we have had from our precious family!  After you read this writer's article, take the opportunity, eight times today, to give out eight seconds hugs!  It might just make a difference in how your day goes!


“So, what can we do to help promote healthy brain development in a world where electronics are not going away?” Kane asked. “Treatments” included yoga, listening to music, deep conversation (with an actual person, not on the phone), 30 minutes of daily exercise, nature walks and making time for spiritual experiences as well as turning off all electronics for one hour each day and before bed. But what surprised me the most was the absolutely necessary component of physical touch.
“Eight-second hugs, eight times a day," she said. “I want you to stand up if you’ve had eight hugs today.” About half the room remained standing, including myself, and I noticed it was mostly younger mothers who probably had small children like me who were constantly hanging onto their bodies.
“But have each of those hugs been for eight seconds or longer?” Almost everyone sat down.
“OK. Now turn to the person next to you, and give them an eight-second hug.” Awkwardly, an auditorium full of strangers began looking around for a hugging buddy. Luckily, I was seated next to another woman and we giggled nervously as we embraced. I was thinking about how uncomfortable this all was and wondering if my husband intuitively knew something like this was going to happen and maybe that’s why he chose to stay home, when something changed. I relaxed. I found myself leaning into the hug. She held me tightly and it was as if there was a lifeline in her arms that was beating energy and love into my soul. I recognized that “lifeline” feeling as oxytocin, the hormone that the brain releases during childbirth, lovemaking and positive social interactions and touch, such as holding your child or another human being.
“Your children are desperate for this,” Kane said as we all sat down, pointing out the noticeable energy shift in the room. “I challenge you to hug them — and you have my permission to tackle them to the ground if they resist — and don’t let go for eight seconds, eight times a day.”
Notice how their mood changes, she said. Notice how it calms them. Notice how it bonds you.  

3 comments:

  1. 😂😂 You’re hilarious, Grandpa!
    And hooray for hugs!! We need to up our game with that, I’m not sure we give each kid 8 hugs for 8 seconds or more...challenge accepted!☺️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Challenge accepted! So I'll be getting 40 hugs a day! I should be really good by the end of the day!! 😍

    And yeah, I wouldn't be to hungry after that job! I bet you are glad you didn't have that job! 🤣🤣😂

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha tried your challenge today. Haven’t made it to 8 hugs on each kid yet but most of them enjoyed the hugs- one who shall remain nameless asked why I was doing this and said maybe if the hugs were shorter she’d like it. ������
    Looks like I will try again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete