JellyPages.com

Sunday, September 2, 2018

2 September 2018 - Sunday

2 September 2018 - Sunday

For our Sacrament Meeting today, we met in the Trek Center for the last time this season.  After Labor Day, Granny's Birthday), we move back into the Chapel, on the Homestead, and prepare the Trek Center for winter storage of the handcarts.  The attendance at Sacrament Meeting was about 300 people today.  That makes it the largest crowd to be here for our Sacrament Meeting this year.  

I had a few thoughts come to me as we heard the various testimonies from missionaries heading home in the next few weeks, and from visitors today.  One brother talked about three kinds of people.  Some may have heard this before, but one kind of people are those who make things happen.  Another kind of people are those who watch things happen, and a third kind of people are those who wonder  what just happened!

As a leader, I was always wanting my ward to be a Zion Ward.  I wanted to be compared to the City of Enoch!  Now, I know, I never did make that level, but certainly discovered that just wanting to be a Zion Ward was not enough.  And I knew that I could not sit in the Bishop's Office or on the stand and watch us become a Zion Ward.  What we needed to have happen was for everyone in the congregation work on making us become a Zion Ward, by being a Zion people.... pure in heart and intent to work everyday at becoming closer to the Spirit.  We needed to stretch ourselves in tough times by doing those things to others that we wanted to have done to us!!

The temptation to talk about others, or the practice of doing things that others could see us do (for the praise of the world), or not paying attention to the actions of our family members outside of our vision, take us in the opposite direction of a Zion society.  It is very apparent that the Lord's Plan for us to become a Zion people contains sacrifice and opposition.  It means pressing forward when too many others are turning back.

This story about Reddick Allred is a prime example of not turning back.  In October, 1856, when Brigham Young issued a call for rescuers for the handcart pioneers, Reddick responded right away.  He left Salt Lake City with about 50 men and 20 supply wagons on October 7th, two days after the call was made.

These initial rescuers encountered a severe snowstorm the very next day on October 8th.  This was eleven days earlier than the snow that hit the pioneers!  For a month he suffered from pleurisy, a painful lung disease, yet he did not use this as an excuse to turn back.  He was determined to press forward, with the other men in his company, as they continued their search for those precious pioneers.  The captain of this initial group of rescuers, and the entire rescue operation, was George D. Grant.   He left Reddick at South Pass in charge of the 20 supply wagons, while the express riders headed east to find the pioneers.

As Reddick and his rescue company waited there in freezing storms, without any word about the handcart companies, some of the rescuers became cold, hungry and discouraged.  They presumed that the pioneers were either dead or had decided to winter over wherever they were.  They tried to convince Reddick to join them as they headed back to Salt Lake, but he would not leave his assignment.

It is my conviction that we cannot be a Zion society by turning around and leaving our assignments.  As hard as it may seem, these assignments, by inspired leaders, must be followed.  The Spirit is our resource to know that we are doing the Lord's work!  If we are gossiping, or slacking in our callings, or questioning the prophet in his call for each of us to be ministers, and to develop the gift of the Spirit in our lives, we will be led astray.  First of all, the Lord will not allow a prophet to lead us astray!  And second, the Prophet has said that we will need the Spirit of the Lord in our daily lives if we are to survive spiritually.... in the coming days!

For Reddick, he waited still another 2 weeks at his assigned post.  During this time, those who had turned back met 77 other critically needed supply wagons and convinced them to turn back!  What kind of an influence can we be in these two separate and distinct situations; First, who are we influencing by staying the course of becoming a Zion society; and, who are we influencing when we fail to stay the course and turn back?

Jesus Christ will, "someday return to earth, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.  He will rule as King of Kings and reign as Lord of Lords, and every knee shall bend and every tongue shall speak in worship before Him.  Each of us will be judged of Him according to our works and the desires of our hearts".  (The Living Christ)

At that coming day, I do not want the Lord to see my back!  I want to be at my assigned post, and, along with my family, all together,  kneel before Him and acknowledge and confess my love for Him.  I am hoping and praying that my work will be acceptable before him because of what I have done, and not what I watched get done, or what I wondered what  had just been done!

The important thing is this, to be able at any moment to sacrifice who we are for who we can become. (Charles DuBois)  

Yes, I think we can become a Zion Society!  We were not sent here to fail!  But it will take work and sacrifice and, as many of us as possible, to accomplish this great joy!   It starts with me and I can't let myself be influenced by those who are aiming for a lesser reward!  Who will join me?  

3 comments:

  1. I will!❤️ Truly no sacrifice is too great to come to personally know our Father and His Son and the Holy Ghost. And in the end we will certainly feel that whatever sacrifices we were asked to make pale in comparison to the bounteous mercies and eternal blessings that our Father and our Savior are anxious to extend to us!
    Thank you for your testimony and pure heart and desires❤️ I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 🙋‍♀️🙋‍♀️ I sure love you!! Thank you for your thoughts and words of wisdom!! ❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will!! 💕❣️ Well said my wonderful Father! I sure love you two! ❤️

    ReplyDelete