JellyPages.com

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

28 August 2018 - Tuesday - Grandpa's Birthday!

28 August 2018 - Tuesday

My oh my!  I am 68 years old today!  The Wyoming air was clean, and clear, this morning, and mom and I had a great day planned!  It  was wonderful to get so many birthday greetings and videos this morning!  Thank you!  We had our morning prayers and Scripture reading together and then started our morning three mile walk.

As we came out the front door at 5:45am, we saw bright lights and emergency vehicles out on Highway 220.  As we walked down the gravel road we saw a truck coming in to Ranch 66/Missionary Village.  He stopped and asked us if there was a road around the Highway 220, through our village, to get to Casper.  He told us there was a terrible crash on the highway and at least one fatality, and that the road was closed in both directions.

This is what we saw from the front steps
Our resident cowboy, Levi, usually leaves for work at 6:00am, and he was just coming down the road.  He knew a road through the fields that would get him to one of the campgrounds and avoid getting on 220 altogether, until after the crash site.  That made this traveler happy.  Mom and I continued down the road, and, as we got closer, we could see there was a large fire burning on the roadway.  From the traveler, we learned that the truck caught on fire and it was loaded with boxed furniture.

Mom and I only went half way down the road before we turned around.  I was anxious to let the other missionaries know about the road being closed.  After we alerted the mission president, (who told us not to come in until the road was reopened), (and any others who had their radios on at 6:30am), we had our breakfast, and then walked back out to the highway.  The accident happened about a mile from our turn-off between Missionary Village and Martin's Cove.  We later heard that traffic had been stopped at Alcova and at Muddy Gap.  The clean-up lasted over eight hours.

As we got to the main road this second time, we decided to walk up to the area of the accident.  We had gone over half a mile when mom decided to head back home.  I was impressed to keep going.  I am not sure I was impressed to keep going because of curiosity, but I found out why once I caught up to one of the truck drivers stranded because of the accident.  

My new friend, Bruce, who came up on the accident about 5 minutes later
Bruce and I began talking about what had happened.  Apparently around 5:00am this morning, a car attempted to pass another car near the top of the hill.  The passing lane was still a few hundred feet ahead, but he made the attempt.  A car following him sped around him, and for some reason the SUV swerved in front of the 18 wheeler and hit head-on, probably at around 70 mph.  Bruce found the driver of the truck walking in the middle of the road in shock.  Bruce got him calmed down and put him in his truck after he indicated he had just had a head-on crash with an SUV.  Bruce ran up to see if he could help, but the car was completely engulfed in fire.

The truck driver's 18 wheeler was also on fire, and the fuel from the furniture acted as a blow torch for the rest of the vehicle.  As you can imaging, this was an awful scene.  Bruce and I were able to talk for over an hour about life, and how quickly it can be extinguished.  I was able to share with him some of the blessings outlined in the Plan of Salvation.  I told him about the struggles and challenges that the pioneers faced in 1856, and the history of Martin's Cove.  And I was able to let him know that there is a plan for each of us in our lives.  

He was very interested in what I had to say, and I told him how proud I was of him making the effort to rescue the person in the SUV, and then for his efforts in ministering to the truck driver.  It was in a stark contrast with the vehicle who left the scene of the accident that he/she surely knew took place.

This is the remains of the SUV

This is what remains of the full sized cab and sleeper of the truck

This is what remains of the trailer full of furniture
After our talk, that lasted over an hour, I shook Bruce's hand and wished him safety as he continued his trip.  It was a sweet experience talking with him about life and death, and connecting for a few minutes here in our earthly existence.  There are so many sobering thoughts about the morning events, today, here in the mission field.  The main one is my appreciation for the Gospel in our lives.  The second one is how much the the Gospel is needed in everyone else's lives.  And the third one is that there are so many "Bruce's" out there who are hungry for the messages, and the promises, and the guidance that the Gospel affords us all. 

As mom and I finished our day, we were very much aware of how temporary our lives are in mortality.  Each day gives us one more opportunity to share the Gospel, repent of our shortcomings and sins, and prepare for the Second Coming of our Savior.  I am convinced that I need to be better and to do better.  And I am so very thankful I was given another day in this effort to improve.  Life's lessons come in so many different formats don't they?

3 comments:

  1. So so sad! What a horrible accident! I’m glad you were able to talk to Bruce and help him out a bit. I’m sure you were able to comfort him just how he needed to be comforted.
    And also- HaPpy Birthday!! Glad you were able to spend time with mom today! We love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That accident reminds me of the accident we came upon on our way to rexburg that one year!
    I bet you were such a tender mercy for Bruce. I bet he was shaken up a lot. What's the condition of the truck driver? Any injuries or just shock?

    And one last Happy Birthday for today! I hope you had a great day❤

    We love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how awful. And how wonderful that you were there and able to minister to your brother. What a special experience to have on your birthday, the day that we celebrate your choice to follow Heavenly Father’s plan, to be able to help one of your brothers remember a little bit of our Father and His plan for each of us. Thanks for being so willing to follow those promptings!
    We love you so much and are so glad you were born!!❤️💗❤️

    ReplyDelete