JellyPages.com

Monday, August 13, 2018

13 August 2018 - Monday - Grandpa Sykes Birthday!

13 August 2018 - Monday

Today was the 116th anniversary of my grandfather's birthday.  Thomas Clinton Sykes was born on Friday, August 13, 1902.  He was always proud of being born on Friday the 13th, as I can recall.  He was my only grandfather that I knew growing up.  He was a high school football player and was always happy with my choice to play football in high school.  He came to my awards ceremony at Sierra High School to be there when I received the "Best Defensive Player" award.  

Certainly not a big deal to be the best defensive player, since we had a losing team that year, but he was there to pat me on the back, and he made me feel pretty important on that day!  Happy birthday Grandpa Sykes!  I always felt protected, and secure, in your arms as we watched the Thursday Night fights together, after my Daddy Jack died.  I will look forward to our Heavenly Family reunion!  I have always wanted to be a grandpa to my grandchildren like Grandpa Sykes was to me!

Mom and I were both anxious to take our morning three mile walk together.  We have the Rocky Ridge trek tomorrow, and we feel like we are ready for the challenge.  Mom asked for, and received, a Priesthood blessing, this morning, for our adventure tomorrow.  

For today, we had the assignment to be at the Visitors' Center from 10:00am until 3:30pm.  It was a slow morning, but with a steady flow of guests coming in.  Mom had a family from Hong Kong come in to experience the feelings here at Martin's Cove.  The husband was a convert in 1973, and his wife joined, I think, in 1971.  They are both active today.  However, they were accompanied by his two sisters who were baptized in 1970 and have since gone inactive.  Mom had a great experience connecting with these Chinese members!

I also had a sweet experience with a missionary couple traveling from the Salt Lake temple training, to begin a temple mission at the Palmyra temple.  I got to spend about 90 minutes with them this afternoon, and both mom and I felt a sweet connection with them.  As I was taking them around the Homestead, I kept sharing different pioneer stories with them.  In one instance, I shared with them Francis Webster's story about being in the Sunday school class when the class members were questioning the value of coming West in the Martin Handcart company so late in the season.  

We all know his response when he stood and told them to stop finding fault with the decision to come in that fateful handcart group in 1856.  He said that he had no regrets coming with the Martin handcart company.  The lateness of the season was a factor in their extremities and their challenges.  But, he said, "it was the price he was willing to pay to become better acquainted with God".   My take on this profound statement, as you may well remember from previous posts, is; "What price are we willing to pay in our day to NOT become better acquainted with God?" 

When I told this story, it struck a chord with Elder Bond, and he pondered on the statement for about 20 minutes.  He and his wife joined another couple for the 16 minute movie that mom was about to show.  Elder Bond casually mentioned, before we began the movie, that he had gotten something in his eye a few days ago that has caused him a lot of discomfort.  He mentioned that he was not able to see out of the one eye and that he had to leave the driving up to his wife.  Mom asked him if he had gotten a blessing, and he seemed to answer, yes. (Mom was inspired to ask that question). After the movie, he mentioned his eye, again, and asked for a blessing from me.  

Mom rounded up another Elder, and he annointed, and I gave Elder Bond the blessing.  Heavenly Father was very specific in that blessing when He said that Elder Bond would be healed "by the end of the day".  He further expressed His love for the Bond's willingness to serve this temple mission, and that He would provide the healing so that they could travel and share the driving time with each other.

I must admit that I was so surprised at the blessing, but I felt it was the Lord's will.  So back to the story about Francis Webster.  This story prompted Elder Bond to let me know that he was diagnosed, four years ago,  with stage 4 colon cancer.  They were devastated and sought to know what the Lord would have them do, and what to prepare for in the future.  He was given a 6% chance of survival.  Their prayers continued for weeks.  His wife was at the temple, on a day he was still working, when a voice told her to "prepare to live without him".  She was devastated, to say the least, and she called him sobbing.  His prayers changed immediately to; "how can I help her cope with what is coming in the future days and weeks?"

They accepted the will of the Lord, and pressed forward to make the most of a terrible situation.  Then his son heard one of Elder Bednar's CES Fireside talks.  It was here, in this talk by Elder Bednar, that we have all heard about the newlywed couple who found out that the husband had terminal cancer.  They had the opportunity to be able to talk with Elder Bednar, before this fireside, and ask him how this could be?  Elder Bednar's response was; "do you have the faith NOT to be healed?  By virtue of being able to accept the Lord's will, whatever that might be, opened up the opportunity for the Lord to do His work in His own due time.

The son of Elder Bond told his dad he needed to see this fireside.  When he did, they realized that they did have the faith NOT to be healed from his stage 4 colon cancer.  And four years later, they have come to realize that they are willing to do the Lord's will, and go through the hard experiences the Lord does provide for them, so that they can be together forever!  With Heavenly Father, nothing is impossible!  Even surviving stage 4 colon cancer!  Yes, we can do hard things!

Then, as I was ending the tour and taking some pictures, with Elder and Sister Bond, he put his arm around me.  He told me that this was a significant stop for him on his way to the mission field.  He further told me that as we were going through the Visitors' Center, about 30 minutes after the blessing, he could read the stories on the walls of the center.  He had not been able to do that since before his eye was infected.  

What a privilege it is to be an instrument in the Lord's Hands.  Sometimes we know this, but most of the time we don't.  However, just because we don't know, doesn't mean that we aren't having a positive impact on people!  What a great lesson this was for me on this special day!  Two senior missionaries both testifying that Heavenly Father is in control, and that we are part of his army of ministers.  This has been a great day with some very significant experiences for mom and me!

4 comments:

  1. How neat❤️❤️ Thank you for sharing these sacred experiences here. I am uplifted and strengthened by them. The Lord is so good to us all. I love to see how much He loves His children and how He uses us, the brothers and sisters that we are, to answer prayers and help each other feel His presence and power in our lives. Oh, how I love Him and want to become as He is!
    I love you both so much and am so grateful for your missionary service!❤️
    I also loved to read about your Grandpa Sykes! I’d love to hear more about him. Maybe in a couple days when we see you!!! Yay!! We are SO excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you weren't joking in your text! What a neat experience!! Definitely a great day!! And yes, you and mom need to tell us more stories of our ancestors!! 😍😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool!!!! I love hearing story's about pioneers! !!! I love you guys!!💕~hayley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this post! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete