JellyPages.com

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

31 July 2018 - Tuesday

31 July 2018 - Tuesday

This morning we had a little extra time before our shift began at the Visitors' Center at 10:00am.  So after our morning prayers, and scripture reading together, we took our three mile walk out to the highway, and back to the trailer.  The morning air was quite cool and invigorating, with the morning temperatures in the mid 40's.  As the day progressed, the temperatures hit the mid 80's.

Both mom and I had some fun families come to the Visitors' Center.  Many wanted to walk the  four mile Martin's Cove trail, as a family, and we gave them some instructions to be safe, and well hydrated, before we sent them off.  I made some friends with the young people in the family groups and usually directed my comments to them.  A teen aged sister and brother had a little skirmish as I was getting acquainted with them.  It reminded me of the times Bob and Amy would be teasing each other.  

Well, this opened the door for me to tell them about the two antelope who locked horns and ended up dying from the skirmish.  The two sets of horns are on the wall in the Homestead museum!  I could not help but compare these skirmishes to their future relationships as they got to mission age, and dating age, where they would need the advice and counsel from a mature brother or sister.  They do not need to lock horns!  It was fun to interact with these teenagers and to see the welcoming looks and periodic comments from some appreciative parents!

Mom and I got home around 5:30pm and mom was ready to retire for the evening, after our prayers and reading in the Ensign.  I have been reading in Ether, this evening, and fully enjoying Chapter 12.  Remember this is the chapter Hyrum Smith was reading from on the afternoon of June 27, 1844.  He found comfort from reading this chapter, and this was drilled home to me in the Martyrdom Room when I was the  missionary that took Elder Holland's Family through the jail.  

I am positive that his son, Matt Holland, could have easily taken the lead in this tour but he was so gracious to let me fulfill my service as a full time senior missionary.  I remember turning the time over to him, in the Martyrdom Room, and he proceeded to remind his children of the original copy of the Book of Mormon that belonged to Hyrum.  They are descendants of Hyrum Smith and they had access to this book!  They had this copy of the Book of Mormon in their home on this occasion!  I learned so much that day when he said that their great great grandfather found comfort in reading from the Book of Mormon.

Elder Neal A. Maxwell taught that, "we are not here to prove ourselves to God, but rather to prove ourselves to ourselves".   I am also quite aware that there are two ways that the Scriptures can assist each one of us.  First, what was meant by the authors as they were recording the messages in the Book of Mormon?  And second, How do those messages apply to us today?  As we ponder how they apply to us, individually, as Hyrum did, how much closer we are drawn to Heavenly Father and His Son!  

Just thinking about these precious mission experiences, tonight, again helps me to appreciate the privilege it is to be serving as a full time senior missionary.  Of course, there are many sweet experiences that help us grow and strengthen our testimonies, and taking each opportunity to do so will bring added joy and happiness to ourselves, and to our families!  

Lord, how is this possible, and why has thou blessed us so abundantly to have these experiences?  Mom and I are so thankful to be able to serve as senior missionaries and to gather these experiences to bring home to our precious family!!  We love you and we thank you for joining us and commenting on the blog!

2 comments:

  1. I love this❤️ I love your faith and your love of the gospel and our Father in Heaven and His Son! And I love you two! I feel blessed to feel the Spirit through reading your blog every day. Thank you for shari g your thoughts, insights and experiences!💗💓

    ReplyDelete