JellyPages.com

Saturday, June 16, 2018

16 June 2018 - Saturday

16 June 2018 - Saturday

Mom and I were reminiscing about last week's surprise visit from our precious family members!  What a treat that was to open that door and see those wonderful grandchildren!  And the hugs and kisses afterwards were awesome!   That seems like such a long time ago, but the sweet memory will not fade!

We were up very early this morning, with being trail guides, for a group from Columbine, Colorado.  They were on the last leg of their experience, and they were filled with enthusiasm this morning!  We had three groups leaving the campground, this morning, and they were scheduled to be the first.  Mom and I arrived at the Cherry Creek campground at just a little past 6:00am for their 7:00am scheduled departure.  

They were running a little behind, this morning, and could have been bumped to the last group to depart if they were not ready by the 7:00am scheduled time.  When we reminded them of this possibility, they sure quickened their pace!  And to think that a hot shower and clean clothes, back home, was such an incentive...  Here are some of our action shots during the threat of rain;

Our group this morning as the clouds were gathering

We were getting some raindrops at this point around 6:45am

And then we saw the rainbow!

And we are on our way to the Trek Center by 7:45am
This was a fun group from Columbine.  Many of these young people live in the shadow of the 20th anniversary of the tragic Columbine shooting.  Several of these young people had older friends and siblings in the school at the time of the shooting.  And there were a few adults that were there in the building as well.  This group was so happy, and close, as friends and church members.  They  readily acknowledge that there is a Heavenly Father who loves them and looks out for them in their struggles and challenges.  This was such a refreshing group to be with!

Once we got back into the Homestead, the FM people had job assignments for mom and me.  It sometimes seems that mom and I get some of the more interesting assignments!  It might be that we are healthy, and it might be that they don't like us.... you choose!  But a little prelude history about Grandpa that you may not have heard.  

When I was around 7 years old I remember being at a party with my mom and sister at my wealthy cousins home in Fresno.  They had a huge, (to me), built-in swimming pool that was not full of water.  It seems to me that the water in the pool was dark and dirty.  As I was looking at the pool from a safe distance, my older cousin, Joel, grabbed me by the arm and started dragging me to the edge of that pool as if to throw me in.  That scared me so much that I will always remember that awful feeling whenever I get around a body of water.

Thus, my assignment today was to clean out a drain filter in one of the creeks that feed the irrigation system in the fields.  Mom and I got the equipment we needed for the job, which included size 9 waders (for my size 11 body), a cleaning broom and my gloves.  I was not real anxious to fulfill this assignment, but was obedient, (and probably a little crazy!).  

"Before" size 9 waders

Squeezing into size 9 waders

After the size 9 wader assembly - Why am I doing this?
So here I am at the point of no return.  Mom has the camera and the life insurance information.  And I am going in!  Except, I am going very slowly as I check for the snakes.....

First - Maybe I can reach it without going in?

Nope - could not reach the filter.  On to the snake search..

Nearing the filter in 4' of water ... Wahhabi!!

About right now my boots are sinking in 12" of swamp mud
The hasty retreat!!  While I still could!
What started off as 6" of water quickly turned into 12" of water and then 24" of water and then 36" of water, and then 48" of water.  Yes, Grandpa is a crazy senior missionary!  But Heavenly Father was in full control, thank goodness.  I was able to escape with only a few mosquito bites.  Then Granny got the privilege of hosing Grandpa off!

Amy - "I did it,  and I'm never doing it again"!

Ready, Aim, Fire!
Our next assignment was to pick up rocks in the back field.  Do you think there are people who stay up at night thinking how to keep senior missionaries busy during the day?


Mom might be more receptive to that hot tub in October???
We told you about the 4' rattlesnake that was killed outside our trailer a few nights ago.  Well here is the memorial that the senior missionaries built after the burial services;

It comes with a warning!  Do not disturb!
Thank goodness for setting apart blessings by an inspired Stake President!  He said in essence that I would be able to foresee situations which may arise, that may be dangerous, and be able to take actions to avert those situations.....  Well, I was in the trailer with mom where we were safe from the snake, and during the wading experience, He kept me safe again!

With absolute knowledge, I know that He is in our lives every single day.  He watches over us and  then gives us opportunities to show our trust and faith in Him.  We can all be assured that as we keep the commandments and always strive to have His Spirit with us, we can do hard things.  Even if others mock us and make fun of our efforts, it doesn't matter.  As with many of you, mom and I are already seeing his miracles manifested in our daily activities as President Nelson has said.  Isn't that awesome!  And just as Ali read this morning, the Spirit communicates with us and sometimes the Savior Himself!

2 comments:

  1. 😆😂😜 Oh, man! You guys are awesome!! I’m sure they give you these assignments because you both are so spry and energetic!😃👍🏻💪🏻 Regardless of the reasons, you fulfill those assignments like champs! Love you both so much!!😘❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what would happen if you said no to one of the assignments- what are they going to do- send you home? 😂

    I had no idea of your fear of water! I’m glad it all turned out ok- you can do hard things!!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete