JellyPages.com

Monday, January 4, 2016

January 4, 2016 - Monday in Nauvoo

Today, mom and I are expanding our talents!  The sisters were putting on a training session at the Family Living Center involving quilt making, and mom went down early to see the demonstration.  I was a few minutes behind, and one of two Elders in attendance.  Elder and Sister Ramsey were there and so was our friend Sister Skinner and several other sisters.

We have enjoyed getting to know the Ramsey's and the Skinner's who are both involved in learning and teaching new skills.  In fact, Elder Ramsey has gotten to know the weaving art since he has been here, and now is talking about purchasing a weaving loom to continue his new found interest!  Mom is very anxious to increase her knowledge of quilt making, and Sister Skinner and Sister Ramsey are willing to help!  I am trying to figure out how I can best help the Humanitarian effort in the mission....  there must be something I can do!

It was a chilly cold Monday morning and mom and I were up at the usual time.  We had our morning prayers and devotional, and then our brisk walk around Nauvoo.  In fact, we went partially around again later this afternoon!  We went to the Family Living Center for about 45 minutes and then we were off to Keokuk for our weekly shopping and P-day.  We got back about 1:00pm and settled in for lunch and some companion study time.  And then we took our second walk I just mentioned.

For the past 3 months we have embraced the concept of ponderizing our Scriptures.  Mom has been especially focused on this concept of internalizing the Scriptures in this manner, and I am trying to keep up with her.  This past week we decided to review the various Scriptures we had selected each week since the October General Conference.  Now, this week, we are back on track and have selected 2 Nephi 2:24 as our ponderizing Scripture;

2 Nephi 2:24 - But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things.

This is the verse right before my favorite Scripture 2 Nephi 2:25!  Where we are taught that ..."men are that they might have joy".  Joy - that word has taken on such a distinct meaning for me!  Webster defines joy as:

The passion or emotion excited by the acquisition or expectation of good; pleasurable feelings or emotions caused by success, good fortune, and the like, or by a rational prospect of possessing what we love or desire; gladness; exhilaration of spirits; delight.

I want that kind of joy!  But, as for the verse before my "joy" Scripture, I understand that in 2 Nephi 2:24, we have a bold statement concerning our mortal experience.  "All things are done in wisdom by Him..."  I am confident that the Lord knows each of us, and He uses His wisdom in helping us to learn the things we need to learn. 

So often I find myself saying something like, "I should have known", but, in reality, I totally missed the point!  That is how He is teaching us.  When we recognize a missed opportunity, and really study and ponder the affects of what we have missed, and pray to know how we can be better next time, we greatly benefit knowing that it is all part of our learning experience! 

We can beat ourselves for missing the particular point this specific time, as I have done too many times, or we can rejoice that we have been given that experience to help make us more prepared for the next experience.... 

Just the fact that we have that insight given to us to know how to be better and do better is part of achieving that "joy" spoken of in the next verse!  Of course, we are taught that "He never said it would be easy, but He did say it would be worth it"!  So we just need to - Carry on!  Carry on!

1 comment: