JellyPages.com

Friday, August 14, 2015

August 14, 2015 - Friday in Carthage

Last night we had an interesting group of youth from the northern part of Montana.  They were a fundamentalist group that broke off from the Mormon Church right around the time Heber J. Grant became the Prophet.  They were an interesting group that was fairly quiet at the play.  When the opening prayer was announced, as was their custom, they all stood while the prayer was offered.  We later found out they had plans to visit Carthage this morning.

Well, with that introduction, we were anticipating quite a day with this group.  However, we weren't sure about what to expect!  During our morning prayer, we asked for additional help in our missionary work this morning with this group from Montana.

Mom and I were up early and took a long walk after our morning devotional and our prayers.  It was a cool and very humid walk, this morning, but very enjoyable and invigorating.  As is our custom, we arrived early for the 9:00am group tour of these young people from Montana.  And it was a good thing we did, since they arrived early!  

As they were coming down the brick walkway, some were loud and irreverent.  As I assembled them for a brief welcome and introduction they gave me their attention.  Then they became attentive as I began to speak, and, as I laid out the potential experience that they could have here,  they were very respectful.  I felt an immediate love for them and I was anxious to share this time with them.  There were 60 youth and adults in total.  We made sure we kept them together in the movie room and then divided them into two groups for the jail tour.  Any other guests were held over to the next tour time.

After the movie, "Impressions of a Prophet", Elder Hansen took half the group and I took the other half.  As I gave Elder Hansen about a ten minute head start, I kept them in the movie room and started by asking them if they had any questions.  They were very quiet but one brave soul asked me this question;  "Elder Lasher, when did you know that the Church was true?"  That question made me smile.  It was just a few days ago that a few of the Carthage Missionaries had a few minutes together where we discussed this very question.  As it was then, so it was, now, an easy question to answer.  

I began by letting them know about my invitation to Ellen's house to come to a Family Home Evening with my sister in my early college years.  I then spoke about the interest I had in the temple blessings that Ellen told me I could have when I questioned her about the temple picture they had in their home.  I told them about my dad passing away when I was two years old and how that answer to the question about what goes on in the temples caught my interest.  Then I shared the experience of becoming well acquainted with the Church and how that took a lot of time for me.  I talked about studying the Gospel and learning to pray, and serving in the Church that assisted my conversion.  So many experiences and so much time, even years of time!  It has been a lifetime of learning that has led to my conversion, and my conversion story is still being written!

Let me emphasize again, that I am talking to a fundamental group who believe strongly in the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith but lack the fulness of the Gospel!  They were warm and receptive and we had a marvelous experience in the jail.  I believe that these young people are looking for the fulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  And from my conversations after the tour was over, I believe that many seeds were planted for these young people to reevaluate their lives and recognize some vital points that are missing.  This has to rank as one of my most favorite hour-long tours.  I had more young people talk to me after the tour, and I had more young people thank me for the tour, than I have had from most groups this summer.  It was such a sweet experience today, and I am so grateful that I was given this wonderful opportunity to share my story with them.  Of course I got some pictures!

I took this picture of the girls with this group.  They all seemed to be very sharp and wanting to learn about the history of Carthage.

I had to catch this picture of the young men snapping pictures!  So many cameras and so little time!

Another view of this marvelous youth group.  I pray that any seeds that were planted will be nurtured and will grow within these wonderful young people.

What was incredible about this group is that the youth set up all the arrangements for this trip and the cost was about $800 per person that they each paid for.  They are hungry for the truth and they came here to find it!  There were 60 youth and adults who made this trip!


Mom and I came home to enjoy a most relaxing afternoon together.  It has been a wonderful day and we are grateful for the opportunity to serve here in Carthage!  Thank you for joining us tonight!




2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'll say some prayers for them as well! We talked today and you didn't even tell me this! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete