JellyPages.com

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

May 18, 2016 - Wednesday in Nauvoo

We certainly got our workout today.  Since we could not take our normal walk this morning, I suggested to mom last night that we could walk to our FM gardening assignment today.  We talked about it and then decided to do it.  I was about four miles round trip.  We had our morning devotional and prayers and then left for the Wednesday training meeting at 7:00am.  We got to the meeting at about 7:20am with plenty of time to spare. 

After the meeting at the Visitor's Center we walked down to the FM facility to begin our day.  Since we were assigned to the Handcart site again today, and there were no scheduled handcart treks, we helped plant some more beautiful flowers and plants.  We planted another 2,000 or so today.  Here are some "before" and "after" pictures!

The sunny side of the Women's Garden

The walkway along Main Street near the Cultural Hall

Look at the "Richard" technique of placing the plants!

This soil (not dirt!) is so soft and fertile.  Your footprint sinks 6 inches!

Women's Garden on the shady side

Mom is getting the "placement" technique down really good!

These Banana Trees weigh up to 200 pounds!

Louie and Richard placing the Banana Tree - full sun!

And then the master places the plants highlighting the Banana Tree
Richard was so excited to try this Banana Tree in the Women's Garden this year.  It has been around for a few years, in the greenhouse, and he thought that this might be the last year for it.  They have not tried the Banana Trees in the Women's Gardens, before, as I understand.  It has been a real treat to work with Richard the past several weeks.  

And I liked the Banana Tree because my mom had a Banana Tree that she and my dad planted in the backyard of our home at 1435 West Normal, in Fresno, California.  I was always waiting for the Banana Tree to produce bananas, but it never did??  Maybe Richard's tree will??  I know my dad loved to work in the yard there.  It was the first, (and the last), home they owned together.  It was in this yard that my sister and I decided to dig our own swimming pool.  That effort lasted about 3 shovel's full of dirt!  Sweet memories!  I even taught my first puppy, "Puggy", a boxer, how to drink water.  I was about 5 years old at the time and so mature!

Mom and I were scheduled in the Handcart site again tomorrow but our assignment changed.  I will be working at the Brickyard tomorrow for school tours.  They plan on having about 270 students coming for their annual visit and I will be giving those tours in the Brickyard.  

And finally, we had our first dress rehearsal tonight with the Young Performing Missionaries for the Sunset Play.  Our Emma Hale cast opens the season on Saturday May 28th!  That is now less than 10 days away!  This will be a fun show as some of you already know!  These young performing missionaries are so full of energy and talent and enthusiasm!  Bob, Mary and those precious grandchildren are in for a real treat!

2 comments:

  1. We are counting down the days!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's got to be fun driving around Nauvoo seeing all the beautiful flowers you helped plant! It looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete