JellyPages.com

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

December 9, 2015 - Wednesday in Nauvoo

Having our P-day on Monday has really thrown us off on our routine.  Wednesday P-days gave us the chance to make the temple every week.  The temple is closed on Mondays for most of the year so we have to scramble for a day to go with a constantly changing schedule.  And we had a good routine going for our laundry on Wednesdays and Saturdays since we have to share the laundry facilities with the other apartment.  But now, with our P-day on Monday, we can't do laundry either...  Oh well!

With the Wednesday training meeting this morning at 8:00am, we arrived at the Visitor's Center at 7:30am to get the building opened.  We were both up early to get ready for the day.   Mom served at the Wilford Woodruff home and I was at the Tin Shop.  It was a long day since we had no visitors.  We both served from 9:45am to 5:00pm.  We had to forgo our morning walk and exercise routine and that is never good...

Then, at 3:00pm, I got a call from the Visitors Center that we had an unscheduled school group come in and started setting up for a concert tonight that we did not schedule.  They said they had it all arranged but could not name the person they spoke to.  The concert started at 7:00pm and went until 8:30pm and guess who got to cover the Visitors Center?  I just got home a few minutes ago, but it worked out well.  I got to meet a lot of the non member community and about 61 of them took tours around the center.  I counted over 290 total folks coming in for the event, so that was great exposure.

I also got to finish the Christmas memory letter to each of the grandchildren.  I got all the envelopes addressed and Christmas stickers affixed.  They get mailed tomorrow!!  Yea!!

A day of service at the Wilford Woodruff Home!
Even with, and more accurately, especially with, the surprise shift to close the Visitor's Center, we had a great day.  There are so many wonderful opportunities that the Lord places in our paths that may not seem "convenient", but with a cheerful countenance and a happy heart, the many opportunities are so worth the time and effort!

Yesterday I did not mention that my one tour and movie was given to a young man who was 20 years old and had just joined the Church.  We had a heart to heart talk about the new adventure he was embarking on. I asked him if he was planning on serving a mission.  He said he had thought about it and that he wasn't sure he wanted to be away from his family for two years.  I then got to tell him how I wished I had had someone to steer me toward a mission when I joined the Church at his age.  

I told him that if he would commit to serving a mission with all of his heart, his family of today would be blessed, and his future family would be blessed, not to mention the blessings he would receive!  It was a sweet opportunity to let him know it would be the best thing to do at this stage in his life.  He is already attending temples on his own to do baptisms and that effort would be a tremendous strength to him as he prepares to receive his endowment in about 11 months!  I gave him my email address and told him to check with me anytime with questions or conversation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment