JellyPages.com

Monday, December 21, 2015

December 21, 2015 - Monday in Nauvoo







Today we started off our P-day with our morning devotional and prayers.  We were both up about 30 minutes earlier than normal this morning.  We left on our walk at about 5:40am and it had just stopped a light rain.  The temperature was in the low 50's, so it was a fresh and invigorating morning air.  However, as we approached half way around our walking path, there was lightening in the distance.  

Mom decided to head back home but I continued on my walk.  I was thinking about the lightening and was not too concerned as I rounded the walking path.  I was deep in thought coming up within a block of home when I became aware of a little friend, scrambling on my right side toward me, and, a few feet off the road.  When I finally realized who my friend was, I abruptly headed left!  He just kept scrambling and disappeared into a culvert. I had worked up a pretty strong heartbeat on my walk previous to this spotting, but immediately after seeing what was coming toward me, my heart beat immediately doubled.....

My walking friend?

Needless to say, I was happy he passed me by, and went about his business.  It almost caused me to do my business right there in the middle of the road!  There was no warning scent that could have given me more of a heads up.  That would have been a little kinder to my heart! 

About two weeks ago I had put in a request to have a covering put over our house entry door.  When it rains, there is no protection as we come into the house.  Although I gave it a very small possibility of getting approved, I felt that nothing ventured was nothing gained.  Well, this morning before mom and I left for Quincy, a crew showed up ready to do the work!  They had it nearly completed by the time we got back home and it will be a very nice addition.  It was our friend from Carthage, Elder Hansen, who headed up the effort.  

Mom and I were making a special effort to find her some additional Church outfits on our trip to Quincy today.  We shopped at one of her favorite stores, Christopher Banks,  and we found some wonderful items and they were all on sale!

Beautiful lady in her new sweater!

And her new grey top and new skirt!

And look at this fun new outfit!
After the clothing shopping spree, we went to Sam's for our grocery needs.  We had fun getting a few things to share with our fellow missionaries.  There has been so many kind thoughts and gestures shown to us this Christmas season, and this gave us an opportunity to reciprocate.  We are creating another very unique Christmas memory here in Nauvoo for Christmas 2015!  I have lots of stories being stored up from this marvelous and unique experience!

And this evening, we had Family Home Evening with a few members of our cast.  Our friend, Elder and Sister Skinner hosted the event.  We had a very simple and yet delicious meal of tortilla soup and veggies and fruit.  Then we sang Christmas carols and told some of our favorite Christmas stories.  Boy was I prepared!  It was so fun to put together those cherished Christmas memories for my grandchildren!  Now, the cherished Christmas memories continue as we have heard some very significant stories from our family members back home.  These are treasured memories that I hope will never fade from our collective memories!

I have learned by experience that it is not how much money we have to spend, or even what we spend our money on at Christmas time.  It really is what we take away from our experiences that matter the most and how the baby Jesus's life affects our lives.  The innocence of youth, the smiles created, the tender feelings that we have, just thinking about family, and the birth of the most important One, makes our Christmas season truly remarkable and memorable!  No matter where we are in the world this Christmas, the love we share for each other and the love we share for the Savior of the world, makes us who we are, and determines who we can become.  Granny and Grandpa sure love you!!  

Merry Christmas 2015!

4 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas!!❤ I have thoroughly enjoyed catching back up on your blog. I love reading our family history! You do a great job with this blog and I'm excited to have it in book form! We love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It made me laugh to see who your friend was on your walk! So funny picturing you noticing it!! Sounds like a successful day to me! Love moms new clothes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was laughing as I read your story! I can completely hear you telling the story and picture it all happening! So funny!! Glad you didn't have his business on you or your business on you either!!!! Ha ha ha 😂

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS Mom you did a great job shopping! Sure wish I could have been there with you! Soon.... in just a little of a year!!! 👍👍💜

    ReplyDelete