JellyPages.com

Friday, December 18, 2015

December 18, 2015 - Friday in Nauvoo

It got a little chilly this morning!  After we had our morning devotional and prayers, we headed out the door for our walk.  It was 22 degrees this morning!  Boy, did we bundle up, and the walk was wonderful!  The sky was full of stars and it was a little lighter than usual.  There was a little wind that was pretty cold, but I finally warmed up after about half way around our trail.

And, today is a special date in my life.  It is the date that my grandmother, affectionately known as "Nana, was born in 1893. I have so many wonderful memories with Nana.  She is the mother of my dad, Jack.  She passed away on February 11, 1983.  Her funeral service was held on February 14th, a very appropriate day for her to be remembered by so many family and friends.  She had asked me to preside at her funeral services and what an honor that was for me!  

Now, I wanted to share one of my favorite Christmas stories that I experienced with Nana.  It happened during the Christmas season in 1982.  Josie was 3 years old, Bob was 2 years old, and Amy was just 1 year old.  We were having a Christmas party with my sister, Jackie, and somehow, and I'm not quite sure how, my sister got me to put on a Santa's suit and welcome the kids to her party.  I will forever be thankful that I said "yes" to this crazy idea!  (Another "decisions do determine destiny??)

You see, after I had "entertained" the children, (after pulling down my beard so Josie would sit on my lap), I thought about my Nana.  She was bedridden in her home across town and the thought came to me to go and cheer her up with a "Santa's" visit.  I jumped in our car and stopped by a grocery store and picked up a BIG candy cane and drove up to her house.  I went in the front door, and she gave "Santa" the biggest smile!  It may have been the candy cane, but boy was I ever grateful to sit with her and review her year, and how good she had been, and then make a list of things she hoped for from Santa.  

She was, and I am absolutely sure still is, a very special lady.  Throughout my life all I ever saw her do was to make others happy with her baked goods, or hospitality, or genuine love for almost all people.  One of her all time favorite singers was Elvis Presley.  And she did not like the Beatles, because they had "shaggy hair", and they were taking away the spotlight from her favorite Elvis!  She loved her Elvis and nobody was going to take his place! 

Madeline Josie Howard Jones Pool was one of my all time favorite people.  Just to know her was to love her!  From my interactions with her over the years, she made my dad's memory come alive with her tender memories of her son, who "was taken so early in life".  I'm sure everyone has a "Nana" in their life, too!  And these special ladies (and grandfathers as well), have such a lasting impact and impression on how we grow up and how we turn out!

Mom and I served in the Family Living Center today on the early shift.  I had some fun making rope with one young family making a cross county trip from Virginia to Idaho Falls to visit family there.  They became a favorite guest family when the dad knew about Gandolfo's Deli in Idaho Falls, and assured me they would go and see Jared and have lunch there!!  As we were making rope I had all the girls, ages 9, 8, and 7, help me.  As we made the rope, I reinforced the importance of families working together, and especially as they traveled in the car long distances!  

I think mom and dad appreciated that plug!  The girls listened attentively and I think the message was understood even more when I gave them each their own rope, and then we made one family Christmas rope with some red, green and white string woven into the main rope.  I love working with the families and especially the young people!

Then, we had Rendezvous tonight and mom was at the top of her game.  I hope you get a chance to see her in action as the Relief Society President!  We get to work together in her scene and it is so much fun!  We performed for about 30 people tonight and although they were a pretty quiet group, I think they enjoyed our efforts!  After the performance tonight, we walked back home, and we were happy to be warm and comfortable, in our little cottage refuge!

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate the family history posts! Great opportunity to teach the kids about their grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur with Bob! And it will be a bonus when it's in book form to flip thru and read.

    ReplyDelete