JellyPages.com

Monday, December 14, 2015

December 14, 2105 - Monday in Nauvoo

Here we are having enjoyed another wonderful preparation day!  We woke up to a light rain this morning.  After our morning devotional and prayers we decided to take our umbrellas and enjoy our morning walk around Nauvoo.  The rain subsided about half way around our track, and the morning day break was wonderful!  We got back to our little cottage at just after 7:00am and made it a goal to be ready to leave the house by 8:30am for our planned activities.  This was one of the scenes we saw on our walk this morning;  We are looking up Parley Street.  Mom and I walk this street almost everyday.  And each time I do, I think about those pioneers who left Nauvoo behind, under the threat of another mob attacking the Saints in 1846.  Thousands left the warmth of their homes on February 4, 1846, in minus 14 degree weather to find a place in the Rocky Mountains where they could live life as they had a mind to;

The rain clouds starting to clear... just a little!
Our morning tip began as we drove to the bank to cash a check, and then we drove to Carthage and a visit to my barber.  After the haircut we traveled on to Quincy and had some fun "remodeling" our Rigby home by checking out some of the new appliances and carpeting and other upgrades available at the Home Depot.  We also walked around the Kohl's store to see what new outfits we could find for mom.  Then we went to Wal Mart for some groceries and then to Sam's Club for our basic supplies. 

Checking out the LG models at Home Depot

Lot's of room in this bad boy

One of our favorite P-day past-times - Sam's Club!
Going through the Christmas Season checking out all the things we could get for our grandchildren was fun today.  We had a wonderful morning and early afternoon talking with people and enjoying one another's company.  At the Home Depot we gave out an invitation to view, "A Savior Is Born", and at Sam's we invited one of the clerks to come to the Christmas program this Saturday and Sunday.

I got an email from Elder Rosenberg, who is the Young Performing missionary I worked with this summer and is now on his full time mission in Italy.  He should be a writer.  I have a partial copy of his letter quoted as follows; 

"Have loved having a new companion, Anziano Pace. He's willing to push me, to do hard things. Have been stressed out a ton because of it, but I'm also finding true joy. Engaged in the labor. I still can't speak perfectly, but I have seen huge jumps in my language abilities....all because I have opened my mouth. All of the lessons, phone calls, English course, church, etc... I haven't been able do this alone, but with Him...I am. I testify that the gift of tongues is real, that obedience does bring blessings.  And gave unto him commandments which inspired him;  And gave him power from on high. (D&C 20).  Obedience, diligence....is power. Not weakness. It enables us to climb and strive for a higher life. Blesses us with a firm and unshakeable foundation. I love it!"

He has a way with the written word and he is so talented!  I underlined an interesting thought in his letter...he was able to do something in learning the language because he "opened his mouth".  Isn't that an interesting concept?  We can do so much more if we will only... open our mouths!

We got home about 2:00pm this afternoon and settled in for the evening.  We got to speak to some family members and last night I spoke with my 95 year old Aunt Toni.  Families are so important and we need to stay close together as we face an uncertain future led by some evil designing men and women.  However, we are ultimately led by a kind and loving Father in Heaven, and staying close to Him with help us through everything!  I know that is true and that we will be just fine as we do stay close to Him and His teachings!

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully mom found some clothes :)!! Fun shopping day!! Love elder rose burgs insights!

    ReplyDelete