JellyPages.com

Thursday, July 30, 2015

July 30, 2015 - Thursday in Carthage

It was back to the Carthage Visitors Center, today, after a wonderful P-day yesterday.  I was up early this morning, after going to bed late last night, just to make sure mom and I had time for the long walk.  We had our devotional this morning and our prayers before the walk, and then we came out of the house to a cool summer morning here in Carthage.  Mom hung in there with me until about the first mile or so, and then elected to head back to the house to get ready for the day.  I took the 3 mile route and practiced my lines for "Pa" tonight.  I finally can review the entire part in my mind without the script in front of me and I am feeling very comfortable with it.  The long walk gives me some great time to practice!

We had several youth groups scheduled today and one Seminary and Institute Teacher group today as well.  I really enjoy these kinds of groups and thrive on sharing my testimony with them.  One of the youth groups was a stake girls camp group.  I was quickly reminded that our first granddaughter, Cambry Anna, was also attending girls camp this week!  Cambry got back home today much to the relief and gratitude of our precious daughter Amy!

I think that teaching the young women in the Martyrdom Room today was one of the highlights of my day.  The young sisters were so receptive and the Spirit was so strong as I spent the time with them.  They were so attentive and many were visibly affected by the presentation.  And many had wonderful questions for me afterwards.


























Mom and I decided to take a picture of the July 2015 calendar we have been following this month.  We will reach close to 25,000 tours this month and it has been the busiest month on record here in Carthage.  Almost every day we have had scheduled tours and some were made almost one year ago!  Take a look at July 31st.  We have no tours scheduled and this marks the downhill side of our assignment here in Carthage.

I had another tour group here this morning and they were from all over the United Sates on a Church History tour originating from the Salt Lake area.  As the tour guide was getting off the bus this morning to greet me, we started talking about where we live.  When he found out I was from Rigby, he indicated his grandmother lives in Rigby.  Then I threw out the big question, "who is your grandmother".... well, he is the grandson of a sweet sister that mom and I home taught for two years prior to our ward and our stake splitting in 2008. That sister is Beverly Clark and I immediately snapped this picture:
Sister Clark was such a pleasant lady to go and visit.  Sometimes mom would go with me and other times I would take Aaronic Priesthood young men with me, and sometimes my son would go with me.  What a small world!  And what a sweet tender mercy to meet him!
Now, here is a lesson I learned tonight after hearing a very special story... first the story; 

"There was a young man who had saved his money for a long time with the intention of buying himself the car of his dreams.  When he had finally gotten the money together that he needed, and this took quite a bit of time, he made the purchase.  He kept the car immaculate.  He washed it and waxed it and drove the car with all the care he could muster.  Well, one day he was driving down the road and he passed a group of three young boys.  Suddenly a brick was thrown at the side of his car and put a sizable dent in his immaculate car.  He was furious and pulled over and asked each of the boys if they were the one who threw the brick.  The first boy simple said no, and the second boy said no as well.  However, the third boy admitted to throwing the brick and said, 'I threw the brick because my younger brother just fell in the irrigation ditch and I can't get him out with his wheel chair stuck, and I needed to get your attention to help me!"

Well, here is the lesson;  How many times have I been too busy or too focused on my little world and missed an opportunity to provide a needed service?  I can only imagine how many missed opportunities I might be responsible for.  But this story is a reminder that I need to do what the owner of the car did.... he never fixed that dent in the side of his car!  It served as a reminder to him that he must never miss another opportunity to provide service to someone who may have a more critical need, and whom the Lord may have put in his way to be served by him

Oh, the lessons we learn each day that can provide the material we might need to be better and to do better....It reminds me of one of the lines in the Rendezvous Play.  That line?  "Don't confuse what is impressive for what is important".

And the capping of this wonderful day came from this picture of a full moon over Nauvoo.  In fact, it is a "blue moon", indicating the second full moon in this month.  The next blue moon is slated to appear in 2018, where two full moons will appear in the same month!
Thank you for joining me tonight!  It has been a good day!

2 comments:

  1. I love your lesson of the day! If we all were keeping a careful eye out for those placed in our paths each day... Oh, how the world would instantly change!❤ I will do my part!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story really makes you think! Thanks for sharing! I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete