JellyPages.com

Saturday, July 11, 2015

July 11, 2015 - Saturday in Carthage

It was a cool and humid morning as mom and I started off on our walk.  We had just finished our morning devotional and hadn't gone more than a block when the light rain caused mom to turn back to our house.  However, I kept walking in the light rain and ended up walking the full 3 mile course we have set up.

We were both ready to go to the Visitors Center at 8:30am.  The morning was cloudy and rainy but we had about 250 scheduled tours before 11:00am.  Some of the scheduled ones did not materialize, but several unscheduled groups did come in spite of the rain.  I was able to take a full youth group of 59 young men and young women who were here on a Church history tour.  I have been blessed to be a part of some of these tours, and I was able to share with them the feelings I have for Carthage.  I did something a little unique and invited them to share their experiences with me via email when they get back home.  Let's see what happens...

By the time mom and I were ready to go to Nauvoo for the Rendezvous, the rain was coming down so hard that the roadways were full of water.  Here are just a few of the pictures we took on our way this evening.  Even though the rain had stopped about 5 miles outside of Carthage, these bodies of water were alive and flowing!

 Here is the major road we travel to get to Nauvoo.  The water is full and overflowing on both sides of the road.  As I drove through this water, it was about 3 or 4 inches deep.
Here is another dip in the road bed with lots of water flowing over the pavement.  Again, this was 3 or 4 inches deep with no rain falling at this time.  The rain had stopped about 10 minutes before we got here.
Can you imagine the water level in these corn fields?  I have to wonder out-loud how this might affect the corn standing in so much water... by the way, this is part of the field between two corn crops.  This is not normally a river!
Even along the roads, the sides have become canals.  These pictures are taken along a 10 mile section of the road leading into Nauvoo.

Two more views of lots of water flowing in these fields this afternoon!













Well, we finally made the trip into Nauvoo safely and this is the field right across from the Cultural Hall where we have the Rendezvous Play.  There were a few brave souls wading through these saturated fields!

But as for the Rendezvous Play tonight, I completely messed up my part as "Pa".  Every time we come down to Nauvoo to participate in Rendezvous I review that part with mom.  I did it again today and we even have a prayer before I go on...  well tonight, with missing some key lines, I was really bummed....

Sometimes, trying to stay positive is a difficult thing for me.  I am not a stage performer, but I am trying to be an obedient missionary.  Sometimes those loose ends don't quite meet up together and tonight was one of those nights....  but as for mom, she had a wonderful tour with a less active member of the Church and his very active family, and received one of the nicest compliments for her service!  Way to go mom!  (Sister Lasher).....

What a wonderful blessing it is to serve together and have absolutely wonderful experiences and a few humbling experiences.... It definitely makes us stronger as members of the true Church!  Thanks for joining us tonight!

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure the audience didn't even notice!! You are doing great and when those negative feelings come in your head you know they are from satan, trying to discourage you!! Chin up, you're awesome!! I can't believe those floods!! That is crazy!! Didn't you have memories of driving through flood waters in your Acura come back to you as you drove through these flood waters?!? Good thing you are in a higher vehicle this time!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing great dad! And good work mom! Crazy rains! I love those kinds when I Don't have to travel!! Josh had a patient that was going there a week or two ago and was supposed to look for you guys but I guess it was too busy for anyone to stop and chat!

    ReplyDelete