JellyPages.com

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

June 30, 2015 - Tuesday in Carthage

It has been a marvelous day here in Carthage as we have been able to serve yet another day here in the Visitors Center.  Both mom and I were greatly blessed with a visit from Ali, Jared, Cody, Maddie, Landon and Mackenzie over the last few days.  While it was hard to say goodbye, when they left for Rigby this morning, we were so uplifted and rejuvenated by their hugs and kisses and conversations and blessings.

Here they go..........8:16am

Thank goodness we were busy at the Visitors Center today!  We hit the ground running about 15 minutes after our precious family drove away.  Mom and I both had some great tours and some wonderful discussions with some of our visitors that really helped us not get sad.  We just need to work harder now!

In the Nauvoo Brass Band, there are so many precious performing missionaries we have grown to love!  In one instance, I have really enjoyed a young sister, Sister Smith, who plays the trombone.  There is a piece that she participates with two other trombone players, an Elder and another Sister.  They play a piece that has Sister Smith put on this absolutely adorable "snooty" face when the Elder tries to participate in the sister's duet.  I have told them how much I enjoy their music every time I see them!  The combination of music, looks, and talent in this precious group is priceless and it makes me smile every time!  I know that these talented Young Performing Missionaries have this same wonderful affect on 100's if not 1000's of guests here in Carthage as well as in Nauvoo!.....

Well, this afternoon I met Sister Smith's parents and an older sister.  What a great family!  Her mom told me how her daughter likes my comments and we talked a little about that.  Somehow, I told her about our mission and how it started in the Philippines.  Then I spoke with her sister and found out she plays the piano so I invited her to come into the Visitors Center and play a piece for us.  

As she was playing and I was talking to her parents,  the mother asked me if I knew and Elder Laoag.  I said, "are you referring to a blog"?  And she said yes!  She loved reading his blog and was so disappointed he had taken it private!  Can you imagine how fun it was for me to tell her I was "Elder Laoag".....??  I told her to email me and I would get her back on!

Now, here is another huge tender mercy.  I sure hope my sister will read this post and let me know if the name, "Duane Matsunaga" sounds familiar?  He was a regional young adult rep when Jackie was a stake young single adult rep in Fresno.  He had so many good things to say about my sister and wanted to re connect with her and her family.  So, Jackie, he has your phone number!  He also knew several other young single adults including Ellen, Wendy and Bob, and had such wonderful memories of those associations.  Unfortunately, I was off to El Centro with Longs Drug Stores and did not know very many of the singles he named...

I had to take his picture with his wife and post it here in case Jackie might see it and recognize him.  What a wonderful "chance" meeting with a piece of my past, just as I was getting involved with Church activity, thanks to Ellen and my precious sister, Jackie.









On my third tour today, we had a family reunion for a group of families from all over the United States.  They were here in Carthage for their final day.  As we sized up the families, we decided to break them into three groups.  The first group consisted of those 6 years and under, with several moms.  The second group was the young men and young women age group and the third group was the balance of the adults.  There were about 20 in each group.

Guess which group I wanted?  That's right, the young men and the young women.  They were not too excited about this tour, which made it all the more interesting for me!  I really had to work them and try to catch their attention.  


There was one of the young men, Deacon aged, who was assigned to heckle me, I think...  But I finally caught their attention with a discussion of Joseph running for President and talking about his platform.  That opened a lot of doors and generated a lot of questions.  I had a great time fielding those questions and they continued to talk with me for over 20 minutes after the tour out in the middle of the brick walkway.   I love talking to these young members who are so vulnerable to the whims of the world.  Hopefully they felt my love for them!  If fact, the heckler finally started asking some of those wonderful questions near the end of the tour and I could sense that there was a change coming over him on his understanding of the Prophet Joseph Smith.

I am so grateful to be here serving with my sweetheart and  having the full support of our family.  You know that was the principle of the Gospel that first caught my attention, that families can be together forever.  And now, as we are here serving this mission, I just want to make sure I am doing all I can to be worthy of this precious family!  Mom and I love you so very much!

1 comment:

  1. Such neat experiences!!! I love hearing about all the connections you guys make!!! So neat! I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete