JellyPages.com

Saturday, May 30, 2015

May 30, 2015 - Saturday

Mom and I first heard about the condition of L. Tom Perry yesterday when his cancer returned and caused him to be put on terminal hospice care.  Then, during our Sunset pre show, we were told he had passed away.  We considered it a blessing for him not to have suffered long, and his wonderful service had a direct impact on me.  In 1978, I was hired at Deseret Industries as the Las Vegas Sales Manager.  After mom was released from her commitment to the Army at Ft. Hood, Texas, we were looking for retail employment that would eliminate Sunday work.  We found that working for the Church and my first assignment was as the Sales Manager in Las Vegas.

I was excited!  I would be able to use my retail experience at Longs Drug Stores to my advantage in this setting.  I worked hard developing the guide for Sales Managers throughout the system then, and tried to make the sales floor in Las Vegas, the standard.  During our pre opening inspections, L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve, came for one of the tours.  I didn't know him very well since I was a convert to the Church.  He had been a member of that Quorum since 1974, and he was so friendly and complimentary of my work.  It gave me such a boost to have his approval of my work there!  I found out later that he had been in the retail business before his call to the Twelve so that was an even better compliment coming from him that day...

Here is a note about his passing from the Church News;

Elder L. Tom Perry, who had served as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles since 1974, passed away on May 30, 2015. He was preceded in death by his first wife, Virginia Lee, who passed away in 1974, and their daughter, who passed away in 1983. Tom and Virginia Lee are the parents of three children. He is survived by his second wife, Barbara Taylor Dayton, whom Elder Perry married in 1976, and two children.

Our cast members were all in agreement.  We were grateful that his terminal care did not have to last very long.  He, I am sure, was welcomed back home with open arms and I am so thankful that I had a few minutes of precious time with him back in Las Vegas during my "growing" years in the Church.

Today, at the Visitors Center, we had some cold and misty weather.  It did not seem to slow down the visitors at first.  However, as the afternoon progressed, it was apparent that all of us were not needed. So, Helen and I went home and prepared for our Sunset play tonight and began our weekly fast. What a blessing it is to serve here in Carthage.

I had two marvelous tours today.  One, in particular, gave me the opportunity to testify to a newly ordained Deacon and a very sensitive Mia Maid.  They were both with a family group who had come from the Temple in Nauvoo after a brother had been married and sealed in that temple this morning. I love the youth of the Church!  They are our future leaders and what a blessing it is to come here and experience the Spirit of Carthage.  

There are so many pre conceived emotions that people bring into the Visitors Center, but the most frequently expressed emotion after the tour is the feeling of gratitude.  That feeling is magnified by just being in the Martyrdom room and experiencing those last few hours of the Prophets life.  Then, as these feelings unfold in this setting,  our guests are exposed to the amazing 24 years of the Prophets life where he was mentored, trained, tested and tried though extreme highs of visits and teaching from Heavenly Beings, to the absolute worst opposition and persecutions imaginable.  And through it all, Joseph never denies his testimony, but sealed that testimony with his blood along with his brother Hyrum.

When the groups and individuals complete their tours, I have found that they have a very difficult time leaving.  The Spirit of the Carthage experience is potentially life changing.  It has been for me and I have seen the affects of this change on hundreds of guests so far.  It is such a precious privilege to be here!

2 comments:

  1. Elder Perry is such a wonderful man! So happy! He well definitely be missed!
    Glad for all your tender mercies and special experiences! The Lord definitely is in the details of our lives! We sure LOVE you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didnt remember that story about you meeting Elder Perry!! I loved listening to him speak! He was such a cute old man :)!! I'm sure he is a lot happier now though!

    ReplyDelete