JellyPages.com

Thursday, May 21, 2015

May 21, 2015 - Thursday

We certainly had a warmer day today here in Carthage.  We had a strong group of missionaries serving today, but the visitors were minimal.  We had a good start to the day with a nice tour group stopping at the Church History sites from New York to Winter Quarters, but it slowly tapered down and the tours were small and spread out during the balance of the day.  I just have to guess that most of our visitors coming for this Memorial Day weekend are still on the road.  I am expecting some big groups this weekend, but there are no tour reservations until next Tuesday.

Since I had one more rehearsal tonight for my vignette part that begins for me on Monday, I had an extra senior couple join us today.  Elder and Sister Orme joined us from Nauvoo and I have enjoyed working with Elder Orme in the sites in Nauvoo.  He is the mission veterinarian, so it was a real treat to have him come out and join us with his wife today. 

Mom and I were able to get our full workout in this morning and then an extra long walk.  We got home by 7:30am and were able to be at the Visitors Center by 8:45am.  Here are some pictures I took today and some were wonderful surprises!

Here is a picture of Lisa and Richard and their family.  Lisa was from the Lindow family fame and she was just coming into the Mutual program as I was serving as Bishop of the Creekside ward back in Fremont in 1994.    I remember well our youth interviews and I so enjoyed our time in those interviews.  Lisa had such wonderful insights and we could talk well beyond the 45 minutes I would schedule for these youth interviews.



This was the first visitor we have had that we have known and worked with personally!
Lisa reminded me that I would not give her the Young Women medallion before she played a piece of music in our Sacrament Meeting.  She played a beautiful song and she and her parents are responsible for my love of the song, "Come Thou Font of Every Blessing"..

Here she is playing a duet with her daughter in the History Room of the Visitors Center on the Grand Piano.
And, here is the final rehearsal for "Pa" and "Jimmy" for our Rendezvous play coming up on Memorial Day!  I am sure all the talent agencies have been duly notified and I should have a contract signed and active by the end of the holiday.  I am still debating on what signing bonus I will accept.....








So, there is your view of old Nauvoo from the eyes of this Carthage assigned missionary.  This Memorial Day weekend should be very interesting for mom and me.  We love serving here in Carthage and seeing family and friends and making new friends every day.  What a blessing it is to be able to serve here with my eternal companion!  She has helped me nail the lines for my vignette and I am so very thankful for her help and especially for her encouragement!

 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! So fun! I haven't seen the Lindows in years! Good luck with your opening night performance! Remember us little people when you're rich and famous! :)

    ReplyDelete