JellyPages.com

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

June 29, 2016 - Wednesday in Nauvoo

I had to take a second look at the thermometer the morning!  It registered 60 degrees! That is a great temperature for our walk... but, we had to miss our walk because, this morning, we had a practice run for the Fourth of July flag raising ceremony that mom and I will be involved in.  That was at 7:00am and the training meeting began at 7:30am.  However, we had treks scheduled to start during the training meeting so I had to miss the third meeting in a row to attend to that assignment.

We had four scheduled treks and then accommodated one unscheduled trek as well.  We had some interesting families come to experience the trek.  Four of the five families wanted to participate together, but one family, three daughters and the mom and dad, had a different idea.  The dad reminded my of a sergeant getting his group ready for the upcoming battle....  

He told the girls just what they would do, and would not do, and then told them that they were going to have this experience alone.  He and the mom weren't going to help at all.  Interesting concept for this family in what I would term a missed opportunity to have a sweet experience together. The girls were very intimidated by the dad and were very obedient.  And true to his announcement of not participating, they came back with the three girls on the handcart, and the mom and dad walking behind.  It was really kind of sad, to me, because I would want to enjoy every experience with my family.

I worked with Elder Heslop at the handcart station today.  His wife came by to sweep off the back of their car so she could see out the back window.  They live down the road from the barns and it is impossible to keep any car clean in this area of Nauvoo since all the roads are dirt or gravel.  I caught a picture of him "riding" the broom over to his wife.  They have been fun to work with!

The Heslop's - at the Handcart Station
The handcart schedule was completed by 12 noon so I went down to work with mom in the gardens for an hour.  Even though there was a cool breeze and the temperatures were still only in the high 70's, I felt like I was a little burned in the face.  But I am getting some great color in my face and arms!

Our oldest grandson, Zac, is now 12 and an active Scout.  He is at Scout Camp this week for the first time.  And I got this picture sent to me of him earning one of his merit badges.  Way to go Zac!  We are so proud of you!

Is this a picture of pure joy?
Tonight we had two Rendezvous shows and it was our night for our parts.  We had two great audiences and got a standing ovation from the second group!  That is always fun to participate in front of an appreciative audience!  In between the two shows, as I was getting my focus, I had to capture this sunset picture;

The sun is settling down over the Mississippi River!
We have had a great day!  It is always a great day when mom and I get to work together!  We love our precious family and all of our friends!  Thank you for your notes and expressions of love and support for these two senior missionaries!

No comments:

Post a Comment