JellyPages.com

Thursday, April 21, 2016

April 21, 2016 - Thursday in Nauvoo

Mom and I both had different assignments today.  She worked at the FM facility transplanting flowers, and I worked at the Family Living Center on the early shift.  That meant that we had our morning devotional and prayers together, and then had to go our separate ways.  I left for my morning walk, all alone, and she left a few minutes later, to catch a ride with Sister Knapp to the FM facility.

I decided to take a little longer walk this morning since I had the time.  I caught some wonderful clouds changing colors again this morning!  And I got to rehearse my Editors part!

The sunrise reflecting on the storm clouds from last night
The above picture was taken at about 6:15am, along my walking path.  The air was fresh and clean and the temperatures were in the mid 40's.  The threat of rain was imminent!  A nearly perfect morning walk.... (perfect would have included my sweetheart companion!).  The total walk was about 4 miles by the time I got back to the house.

I had enough time to workout at home, and then get ready for the day, before I left for my assignment at a little past 9:00am.  Yes, the morning walk was so invigorating that I walked to my site assignment!  Add another 1.5 miles to my workout!  Call me crazy!  At 2:30pm when I got off my shift, those storm clouds let loose and the rain came down in torrents.  Thankfully, mom came to my rescue and I did not have to walk home in the rain.  And, incidentally, the rain stopped about 5 minutes after we drove into the driveway!  Predictable weather in this area for sure!

Then we spent a very quiet evening here at home.  There was no place to go and a calendar that said; stay home!   So we did!                                                                      
Granger view on April 2, 2016



Granger view April 21, 2016
As you can see in these two pictures from the same angle about 19 days apart, Spring is coming quickly!  I have even noticed that the morning light is coming earlier each day!  There is something so upbeat and promising about the Spring time!

I had an interesting experience today in the Family Living Center.  This is one of the sites that visitors can spend up to an hour or so learning about bread making, candle making, weaving, pottery making, rope making and barrel making.  It is a favorite stop for school tours that come each year in the Spring.

We had one of the first of those school tours today.  It was a Christian School from Missouri, about an hour away from Nauvoo.  The students are all between the ages of around 12 to 17 years.  The students are living away from home and have generally had a tough family life.  I had so much fun working with these young men and young women in showing them, and teaching them, about the Pioneers of the 1840's.  There is a strict mission policy to not discuss religion with the school groups, but I was grateful to have some small group conversations about their purpose and goals in life.  

Two of the young women that I spoke to after the tour were very determined to succeed in life.  I did not get the impression that either one of them wanted to return to their natural homes.  They wanted to pursue their dreams and ambitions without the support of their "biological" parents.  (I did not dare go into their reasons!...), but I could empathize with them about leaving home in the teenage years.  I was grateful to have the opportunity to encourage them in their dreams, and goals, and got to invite them back to Nauvoo, at some future date, when they had a chance to return.  

Bishop Waddell gave the message at conference to "learn of Me and listen to My words".  Perhaps the Spirit of Nauvoo will be a reminder to these precious Christian school children, that will help them want to come back.  I can only hope that they will, and that they will then be free to hear the message of the Gospel as preached from the histories of the Saints who lived here during the Nauvoo years!  I have included the summary of that talk as posted on the Church website;


Bishop W. Christopher Waddell
Second Counselor in the Presiding Bishopric


Peace of mind, peace of conscience, and peace of heart are not determined by our ability to avoid trials, sorrow, or heartache. Despite our sincere pleas, not every storm will change course, not every infirmity will be healed, and we may not fully understand every doctrine, principle, or practice taught by prophets, seers, and revelators. …

To assist us in our search for peace amidst the daily challenges of life, we’ve been given a simple pattern to keep our thoughts focused on the Savior, who said: “Learn of me, and listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my Spirit, and you shall have peace in me. I am Jesus Christ” [D&C 19:23–24].

Learn, listen, and walk—three steps with a promise. …
Each time we attend the temple—in all that we hear, do, and say; in every ordinance in which we participate; and in every covenant that we make—we are pointed to Jesus Christ. We feel peace as we hear His words and learn from His example. …

…Those who choose to listen and give heed to the words of the Lord, as delivered through His prophets, will find safety and peace. …

However far we may wander from the path, the Savior invites us to return and walk with Him. … It is an invitation to be at peace.

It has been another marvelous day!  I was able to "listen" to these precious young people, they were able to "learn" about some of the professions of the early Nauvoo Pioneers, and the reasons why they were so valuable in working together, and I was able to take two wonderful "walks" today.  Yes it was definitely a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day! How neat that the Lord can use you and your light to share hope and encouragement to some of His children. 💕❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help but picture you on your walks practicing your editor part and wondering what passer us think of this senior missionary "talking" to himself 😂. It's also neat that you can relate to these students that come in and just be an example to them without teaching the gospel message. Nice work! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete