JellyPages.com

Monday, April 18, 2016

April 18, 2016 - Monday in Nauvoo

Here we are at the end of another Preparation day here in Nauvoo.  The Nauvoo Temple is closed for two weeks, for the semi annual cleaning, so what do we do for our P-day?  Well we kept busy, and actually I was worn out with working in the sun, getting the spacious lawn mowed!  And mom was kept busy by getting all the weeds pulled in the flower beds around the house.  The temperatures hit the low 80's today and that kept me pretty warm!

We started off with our morning devotional and prayers.  Our walk was made in temperatures in the low 50's.  That was very nice!  And we made our trip to Keokuk for our supplies.  And the work around the house was so much fun and yet so exhausting to me!  How are we ever going to keep up the acre when we get home??  Oh, that's right... precious grandchildren!

I had a message from my sister today.  We have a nephew who has had a very difficult life and has been missing for over four years.  It was recently reveled to my sister that he was in jail in Salt Lake.  Jackie asked me to reach out to him and lend him some support.  If any of you feel so inclined, you may want to do the same.  

I have copied my letter to him here in this blog for your information.  Elder Holland's talk was especially helpful here!  And I am convinced that we all need a little rescuing in our lives.... right now, Freddy needs our help so, hopefully, this letter will give you some of your own ideas on how to life Freddy in this challenging life he has been given.  Maybe his challenge is partly ours in how we can reach out to him....

We love you and are so grateful for your liove and prayers on our behalf!


Frederick Donovan                                                                                April 18, 2016
SO/Permanent #384345
Location SB28B
Salt Lake County Metro Jail
3415 South 900 West
Salt Lake City, UT  84119

Dear Freddie;

Aunt Jackie sent me a note today indicating your whereabouts.  I had to reach out to you and let you know I love you.  Aunt Helen and I are currently serving a mission here in Nauvoo, Illinois.  We have been out in the mission field now for over 14 months and will return home in November 2016.  We started this mission in the Philippines in November 2014.  (Great story when we get together!)

I wanted to share with you a quick thought from General Conference.  The talk was by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland and is one of my favorite talks.  He said;

Only the adversary, the enemy of us all, would try to convince us that the ideals outlined in general conference are depressingly unrealistic, that people don’t really improve, that no one really progresses. … Don’t fall for that. With the gift of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the strength of heaven to help us, we can improve, and the great thing about the gospel is we get credit for trying, even if we don’t always succeed. …  Please remember tomorrow, and all the days after that, that the Lord blesses those who want to improve, who accept the need for commandments and try to keep them, who cherish Christlike virtues and strive to the best of their ability to acquire them. If you stumble in that pursuit, so does everyone; the Savior is there to help you keep going. …

I am thinking that you want to get your life back.  I just have to tell you that no matter how far you have strayed, you can still come back.  But it is entirely up to you, and we are ready to help.  I asked the missionary who taught me over 40 years ago to try and come and see you.  His name is Skip Chandler and he is a hero to me.  If you let him, he may become a hero to you!  I look forward to your reply and letting me know what has been going on since we last saw you at Bob and Mary’s wedding in April 2006 in Fremont.  Here is my contact information:

We love you!

Elder Robert Lasher
975 Young Street
Nauvoo, Illinois 62354
(208) 520-6317

2 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful letter to your nephew. We will pray for him!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to suggest the chandlers to visit him before I got to that part! Don't they serve in the jail for their church calling?? Nice letter! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete