JellyPages.com

Saturday, April 4, 2015

April 4, 2015 - Saturday

We woke up to a very cool 30 degrees this morning.  It went from the high 60's yesterday to below freezing this morning, but the temperature eventually reached the low 60's.  Mom and I had an invigorating walk around the town after our morning prayers and devotional.  We had a great start on this first day of General Conference and we were anticipating watching as many speakers as we could since the sites were not going to close for conference.  
 
Here in the Carthage Visitor's Center we do not have the internet hooked up to view conference on the big screen.  I have been lobbying the mission presidency this past week for getting a hook-up but we failed to get it done.  We had some visitors and Carthage members ask if we could get the conference broadcast here so that was our push.  We could get it in the office but that screen is a small screen.... so, I sent the mission presidency this picture;
 
This is part of the History room in the Carthage Visitor's Center and also the room they hold Seminary for the Carthage students.  In the note with the picture I simply said, "just thinking this would be a great TV to use to broadcast conference today".  Apparently several weeks before we arrived in Carthage, they hung this $3,000 TV to use for the overflow crowds this summer.  It has been hanging there for almost 2 months now and is not capable of doing anything it was designed to do, so I will keep trying to get this room more productive with all the resources available on the church website.


































I also snapped this picture on our walk this morning of the Hancock County Vietnam War Memorial that is located less than a block from the Visitor's Center.  So many forgotten vets that put their lives on the line for our freedoms and especially the Vietnam War Vets, who were the real victims of the politics of war.
 
At the end of our walk mom and I did some cleaning at the jail.  We have cleaning assignments for each day of the week except Sundays.  Afterwards I swept down the sidewalks leading up to the Visitor's Center.  Then I went into the Martyrdom Room for a few private minutes before anyone arrived here. That is precious time to think and ponder the event that took place in that room. 

This afternoon mom and I had our Rendezvous Play at 5:30pm instead of the usual 7:00pm start time because of General Priesthood.  We had a full house and everything went well.  Mom and I hurried back to Carthage when the play ended at 6:30pm and made it just in time to tune into the Priesthood Session at 7:00pm in our apartment.  
 
I did have this picture to share on my "reading audition" for my part in the play this summer.  Does this look like Oscar material?


Yes, I didn't think so either.  But oh well, I will go and I will do!....

The Priesthood Conference Session was excellent and I took a few notes for me to work on over the next few days and weeks and months.  I missed the time together with my son and son-in-laws.  We have traditionally gone together and enjoyed these sessions.

We, mom and I, have the full day off tomorrow, (so far), and we plan on enjoying both sessions of conference and the Music and the Spoken Word broadcast right before the Sunday broadcast begins. I love conference and we are grateful for this semi-annual instruction.
 
Have a great evening!  I appreciate your efforts to follow us during this missionary service here in Nauvoo and Carthage!






2 comments:

  1. Totally Oscar worthy! Conference has been fantastic!! Such uplifting and inspiring words!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd vote for you!!
    I love conference! So sad it's over now! The need of 3 new temples is awesome!

    ReplyDelete