JellyPages.com

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

March 31, 2015 - Tuesday

I think today was one of the warmest days we have experienced while on our mission.  We were up at our usual early morning hour to read and have our morning devotional.  Then we went on a 45 minute walk through town and enjoyed 50 degree weather at 7:00am.  It was a beautiful morning.  On our way around the town square I saw some interesting photo opportunities and will share some stories and impressions below;


This is the county courthouse in the middle of the town square.  There is some construction going on and we understand this is the 2nd courthouse built here in Carthage.  The town square around this courthouse is probably 50% vacant with buildings in need of extensive repair and facelift.

We came across this memorial for fallen firefighters.  I am always interested in firefighters since my dad was a career fireman and died while on his 3 day shift on Easter Sunday 1953.  I have always marveled at how my precious mother was able to work through this tragedy with two children under the age of 4 years.  She had kissed my dad goodby before he left work the day before he died and had spoken to him on the telephone just as she had always done.  Then she received a call from the firehouse that no one ever wants to receive.  He had just gone running with a fellow fireman and had returned to the firehouse and felt tired.  He then laid down on one of the outside benches and had a heart attack.  He was gone within a few minutes.  

My mom and dad had a special relationship and had been married a little over 5 years. They were so much in love.  My mom had such fond, loving, and wonderful memories of him and would share her stories about him that made me want to be like him.  I have shared many of those memories with my grandchildren and I hope they always remember them and try hard to treat their families and friends in such a way as to never have any regrets!

This is one of three memorials to the fallen firefighters.  The name of our apartment in Nauvoo was"Buckert Up" signifying we occupied the upstairs living quarters.  I wonder if he was related some way?


I had to snap this picture of a play area that really needs some tender loving care.  It reminded me of the playground across from Josh and Amy's home but in such need of repair!
 The sign on this building is announcing the school district offices.  But I think it has to be former offices of the school district.

This is the sidewalk in front of the school district offices.  Most of the sidewalks we see are broken up and needing to be replaced.

This is a marker sign in the town square giving some detail about the murder of Joseph and Hyrum.  There were so many individuals with various reasons to be involved with the crime.  I can't help but think of President Monson's  admonition to have courage and stand alone for what is true and right.  How many of the mobocracy had second thoughts about being involved in this awful effort stirred up by just a few evil and conspiring men?

















This is another marker just on the corner of where the Hamilton Hotel was located in 1844.  It is a vacant lot today.  Artois Hamilton was in some way part of the conspiracy but after the murders, used his hotel and then one of his wagons to transport the bodies of Joseph and Hyrum back to Nauvoo.  He drove one of those wagons.

Well, we got home from our walk at about 7:45am and the temperature was beginning to warm a little more.  We had breakfast together and got ready for the day and were ready to go to work by 9:15am.  We had a first tour about 9:45am.

Mom had a tour this afternoon that included several groups.  At times it is necessary to add people to the initial starting of the movie "Impressions of a Prophet".  Before we start the movie we ask about the group or individuals to see where they are from and what kind of religious background they have.  However, when the movie begins and you try to add people who are on a short time frame this luxury is not always available.  As was the case in this one group that arrived in a small bus and I added them to mom's group.  All they said was that they were from the Quincy University.

I then got a tour as the movie ended and we could not talk about the group until maybe an hour later.  Come to find out, this group was from the Quincy University, and was studying the practice of polygamy in the United States and came to Carthage Jail to learn more!  This is an excellent reason why we pray as a group of missionaries before we begin each day.... to have the Spirit with us!  When the question of polygamy came up mom was able to bear her testimony and redirect the focus to the Martyrdom.  She will surely have more input as the experience matures in her mind.
I am not sure why I chose to snap this picture of that group, as pictured below, but I had prepared myself to assist her if she signaled me. However, she is an outstanding missionary and had the Spirit with her and I proceeded on to take my group after her....


























There has been a lot of sickness here in the Nauvoo Mission.  Mom and I have been fortunate to avoid any serious affects, perhaps because of our sanitizer, but many activities have been canceled this week.  Our Sunset practice was canceled tonight so mom and I stayed home.  We have our early morning training meeting tomorrow and a session in the Nauvoo Temple right afterwards!

Thank you for checking in with us tonight!  We love you!



 

2 comments:

  1. That's funny- hopefully they were open to learning and didn't have their opinions already made being indoctrinated by people who have no idea what they are talking about. Good job Mom for having the spirit with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are staying away from the sicknesses! That's no fun!!
    I'm sure there will be more groups that don't have the right information or just don't understand completely.... way to go with following the spirit! I sure LOVE you guys!

    ReplyDelete