JellyPages.com

Friday, March 13, 2015

March 13, 2015 - Friday

This was a way fun day for mom and me.  We were up early for a walk and workout and then off to the sites that we were assigned to.  Sister Lasher had the John Taylor Home and I got to walk her there;

Serving in the John Taylor Home today!
I had the assignment to work in the Brickyard again today.  It has been a fairly regular assignment for me over the last three weeks.  I was working with three of the most fun Elders today.  Elder Hatch is from the Pocatello, Idaho, area, Elder Johnson is from the Colorado Springs, Colorado area, and Elder Bowden is from the El Paso, Texas area and lives right below mom and me.   Here is some background on these brethren;
Elder Hatch was the county clerk for Bancock County for many years and decided to leave the political arena and he and his wife came to the Nauvoo Mission in March 2014.  He is a funny guy and loves to tease!  Right up my alley!
Elder Bowden is a saddle maker and is very a quiet man.  Well that changed for today!  We opened the Brickyard and got to talking as I kept asking him questions about his life and he was so fun to talk to!  He and his wife came out in March of 2014 as well.  He helped us tease Elder Johnson and that was great fun!
Elder Johnson is a funny guy as well.  He sells insurance and he loves to talk but sometimes you don't know if he is serious or not.   He and his wife also came out in March 2014 so all three have been here for a least one year.

And today we had over 600 bricks to "hack" and then make another 120.  It was almost constant teasing and laughing and the shift went by incredibly fast today.  In addition, we gave tours to over 70 people and this was the highest days visitors so far this year.  And most of our visitors came to Rendezvous tonight!

Well, everybody got into the act as we worked together and here is a picture of our group;
Elders Bowden, Johnson and Hatch
 Look at those smiles!  We had so much fun today.  Elder Johnson reminds me of Tommy Smothers.  He is a funny guy with such a dry sense of humor that I love to deal with.  He seemed surprised with some quick comebacks and it really made for a great day.  Elder Hatch in the back has a deep baritone voice and is a wonderful singer.  I told him on the first night I heard him sing that there was an agent in the audience that wanted to sign him to a long term contract.  I told him the only way he could sign was if I acted as his agent and took 25%.  He got the biggest kick our of that!  He is one of the teamsters during the peak season and all four of us are in the same Rendezvous Cast.

The salesman making bricks under the eye of Elder Bowden!
I think I had the most fun just watching Elder Bowden come out of his shell.  He eventually, by invitation, helped to tease the other two and I was careful not to fall a victim to him teasing me.  We walked home tonight with the Bowden's and the friendship really started taking shape!
Elder Hatch couldn't stop laughing!
When I pulled out the camera and told everyone this was the best day for me in the sites so far, and that they were going to make the "blog" tonight, they were in.  Such a wonderful group of men and there are so many more that I have yet to meet.

Now, here is a funny story.  The raw material needed to make the bricks is called "pug".  And we needed to make two batches today.  The recipe clearly defines the clay and the sand quantities, but the water content is "as needed".  Well, Elder Hatch and Elder Johnson and Elder Bowden have worked the brickyard many times but none of them have mixed the pug.  So I, in my best performance face, said, OK, I will make it and it will be the best "pug" you have ever seen.... well I went on and on claiming bragging rights and opened myself up big time to potential ridicule. (I've got a million of 'em) ...  So I came up with the mix and started processing it out to fill in the brick molds and to my pleasant surprise, the "pug" came out pretty good.... Well, it really came out very very good if I do say so myself, (and I did).  

Then we, amid the joking and teasing and relentless harassing, noticed something on the side of our mixing machine that caused us to laugh... and laugh ... and laugh ...can you guess what the name of the machine is?

"Peter Pugger"
This was the absolute funniest thing!  No one had noticed the name of this machine before!  Of course the words "Peter Pugger" got us going and, now, for a cast party we are going to have a "Peter Pugger Pizza Party"....  go figure, and this from grown men...

As you can see, we all have struggles and challenges that may sometimes overwhelm us to the point of breaking down and feeling helpless.  Each of these men have had similar experiences where they have had some difficult and  overwhelming feelings in their lives.  Then we realize that there really is beauty in the struggles we have.  All we have to do is look around and appreciate someone new, or, perhaps, someone we already know in a new light.  Burdens can be lighter and the tasks can become fun and a little easier to bear, with the right attitudes and appreciations for who we are and who we can become!

After our assignments were over at the sites, we went to the sewing room and picked up moms last dress.  I think the ladies in the sewing room love mom.  They have been so kind to her having finished her third outfit.  She is now ready to fulfill any and all assignments she might be given and she is so willing to do her best!  The outfit perfectly accents her grey hair!

Beautiful Pioneer Lady

Then to conclude our evening we walked down to the Cultural Hall and performed in our 2nd Rendezvous where we had speaking parts.  We made it, and we performed in front of a packed house of around 90 people.  We seem to be "getting it", but there is so much more to learn and so much more to remember!

Pre performance pictures!

A rare photo of two famous actors from the 1840's
Sister Lasher:  "Oh my stars!  Just think of it ...... the Ashby's and all ten children living side-by-side with the Snows!"

Elder Lasher:  "Wait... Jed!  Stop!  Brigham Young says we gotta leave.  Listen to me Jedidiah, leavins gonna take a lot more courage than fightin!"

Well there you have it.  Probably the best part is when the audiences comes outside where the cast is waiting and thanks us and shakes hands with us.  The children are especially fun and we meet members and non members alike and see them after our performances, and many times, we have previously met them at the sites earlier in the day.   Who would have EVER thought that Elder and Sister Lasher would be doing this as missionaries and ambassadors of the Lord Jesus Christ in Nauvoo??  Certainly not us... 

Thank you for checking in with us tonight!  We love you!


2 comments:

  1. Fun!!! I'm glad you had such a great day and are making friends! Tell mom I like her outfit! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see you grown men laughing at your own jokes!!! Good times had by all I bet!! So proud of my "acting" parents! You two are amazing! Love you!

    ReplyDelete