JellyPages.com

Monday, March 23, 2015

March 23, 2015 - Monday

Sister Lasher and I enjoyed day two in Carthage today.  We are commuting from Nauvoo until Wednesday and then we will move to Carthage on that, our preparation, day.  I am looking forward to getting settled in the new home and we look forward to and hope for some overnight visitors!  Serving in Carthage is such a precious privilege for mom and me. 

Each time I give the tour and ponder quietly the events that took place in Carthage on June 27, 1844, my testimony and my love for the Prophet Joseph and his brothers Hyrum and Sam continues to grow.  I am started to read the books from the extensive Carthage library.  The information is fascinating and I will share different accounts as the days and weeks come.

We had about 60 visitors today from several different states.  I gave a tour to a couple about my age and shared the experiences of June 23, 24, 25, 26, and 27th with them and shared a brief testimony.  I felt a sweet Spirit talking with them and thought that they felt the same way.

As we came down the stairs from the Martyrdom room, they asked me about my mission and what it would entail to go on a church mission.  They shared with me that they never thought that they could serve a mission until I put on the Bishop's hat, (just briefly), and told them the process.  He told me that I gave them a wonderful tour, but that they had gotten more out of what I told him about preparing for a mission than they did from the tour.  He indicated they were returning to Indiana and they would go and see their Bishop!

Here are some pictures from today;


Walking up the path to open the center early this morning

Approaching the front doors on the right and the jail on the left


We open up the front doors and offices and restrooms, and then we adjust the lighting and the music system.  We then have prayer and open up the summer kitchen and the jail.  The grounds are just starting to bloom with hundreds of tulips.  In April we will have a full time missionary couple to maintain the grounds, plant flowers and mow the lawns.  This will be a garden paradise in just a few weeks and with some warm Spring weather!

 Here is Sister Lasher giving an orientation just before introducing the movie.  In this Visitor's center, there is an 18 minute movie on the life of the Prophet Joseph Smith that can only be seen here.  All of the dialog in the movie has been taken from journals and letters of people who knew Joseph Smith personally.  We usually start with the movie and then tour the jail.  We have had many choice experiences already here at Carthage with our visitors, and with the promptings of the Spirit!  Come and see!



Sister Lasher kept her coat on most of the day.  The temperature never went over 40 degrees and it was cold when we went outside to the jail tour!  This is a wonderful place to serve and we feel so very blessed to be able to serve here in Carthage for the next four to six months.

Come and see us!  We are looking forward to seeing you!

1 comment:

  1. We will see if we can move up the date to come visit you! Jared isn't sure with work though..... We'll shall see! I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete