JellyPages.com

Monday, March 30, 2015

March 30, 2015 - Monday

Our day started off wonderful!  We had our morning prayers and devotional and took a nice walk around the town square and neighborhood.  We were scheduled to open the visitor's center at 10:00am today but from the view outside our back sliding glass door, we saw a moving truck and a family car drive up to the visitor's center for a tour at 9:00am.  Here is that view out the piano room sliding glass door;

We will never keep anyone waiting if we can help it so we opened up this morning at 9:15am and gave our first tour to a family moving from North Dakota to Delaware.  I am so glad we could accommodate them and help them use their time a little better!  We are grateful to have the privilege of serving here!!

We then finished up the opening procedures and by 10:00am we had two more families come in.  The third family came all the way from Australia.  Mom and Dad had three of their children with them.  One of their daughters was just called to the Japan, Sapporo Mission, and reports to the Provo MTC in two months, and another daughter was just released from her mission in the Philippines.  

I had to ask her which mission in the Philippines she had served in and she indicated the Laoag, Philippines Mission.  She was released in January 2015, and was serving there during our brief 3 week time period.  This is Sister Willson and she had heard about the "senior couple from Idaho" and was so anxious to meet us and then very disappointed when she heard we had returned home.  She was almost as excited to meet us as we were to meet her!!  Sister Lasher gave her the story of our Philippine experience, and then we wanted to keep talking to her and finding out more about her future plans.  What a precious tender mercy it was to spend some time with her today!!

Here she is, Sister Willson, and Courtney - who is she holding in the 2nd picture??

 Sister Willson, recently released from the Laoag, Philippines Mission.  Who would have ever thought that we would come to the Nauvoo Mission, then, after 4 weeks in the mission, be transferred to Carthage Jail Visitor's Center.... and then have her family come on our work day and be able to share "the rest of the story", of our Philippine Mission experience...???  It continues to be reconfirmed to us every day, that Heavenly Father loves us and gives us experiences for our pure joy and happiness!

Flat Stanley has now touched two continents with Sister Willson coming directly from Australia to Carthage, Illinois!  She and her family are on their way to General Conference in Salt Lake City this weekend.

Today we had visitors from Australia, Chili, Sweden, New York, Utah, Wisconsin, North Dakota, Wyoming and locally here in Nauvoo.

Speaking of Flat Stanley, he is a world traveler from my granddaughter Courtney's 2nd grade class.  Flat Stanley loves adventures so he came to Nauvoo to spend a few days with us to see exactly what we do while we are serving a mission.  We have been doing quite a few things so I had to take some pictures and will explain what we have been up to;  I hope you enjoy these experiences as much as mom and I had with Flat Stanley!

 Flat Stanley came to Granny and Grandpa's mission in Nauvoo, Illinois, on this big airplane so that he could give Granny and Grandpa a BIG hug from Courtney and spend a few days with us.

Flat Stanley's first stop was Nauvoo.   He was pretty excited about being here because this is his first trip to Nauvoo!

Flat Stanley with Granny as they arrived in Nauvoo.  Both Granny and Grandpa Lasher wanted to hold me up to this BIG sign!  I was so high in the air I thought I was going to get a nose bleed!  Well, anything to make my Granny and Grandpa happy in their anxiousness to photograph me....

 Here is Flat Stanley and Grandpa at the Carthage Jail Visitor's Center in Carthage, Illinois.  This sign was a little closer to the ground.  See my big smile?  No nose bleed!
 

Flat Stanley got to sleep with Granny and Grandpa.  Nice bed and I was warm as toast!  Of course I am as flat as toast too!  (I got a million of em...)
 Flat Stanley is under strict instructions, from Dr. Jeppson, to brush everyday while he is on his adventure.  Flat Stanley said; "Courtney made sure I promised to do so"!

 Flat Stanley and Granny reading our favorite Scriptures.  I love sitting in Granny's lap early in the morning getting ready for the adventures of the day!

 Courtney look!  I found the trail mix!  Emmmm good!  I sure like coming to visit Granny and Grandpa Lasher!
 Flat Stanley thought the trail mix was super good... then he found the CANDY JAR!  Oh my, all this candy and so little time....



Flat Stanley just died and went to heaven!  Oh yes....Grandpa LOVES a little bit of hot chocolate with my favorite:  WHIPPED CREAM!  I was hoping that can would never go empty!  (I'm on my 2nd million...)

 Flat Stanley is ready for his walk.  It is time to go outside and breathe some fresh Carthage air.  Flat Stanley loves taking long early morning walks.

 Oh oh!  Can't go outside until I sanitize!  They sure take good care of me.  Courtney these are sure good grandparents!  I think I love them as much as you do!

Flat Stanley saw this beautiful sign on the wall of Granny and Grandpa's little home... well I say little, I almost got lost going from the whipped cream room to this room!

 Flat Stanley is hoping to catch a ride on the pioneer wagon today!  How much fun would that be?

Flat Stanley taking his first steps in the picture of the Women's Garden at the Nauvoo Visitor's Center.  I was very happy to have these two pioneers make sure I did not fall!  All Grandpa does is stick me somewhere with scotch tape and these people let me try to walk!



Oh!  I found one of Granny's nice pictures!  I was a little cold thinking about that icy water and I felt very grateful for these boys, one big brother helping his little brother.  I like it when people are big helpers and that is how I want to be.


 Flat Stanley heard the John Hinckle story about Bobby's tree fort.  When he saw this perfect tree fort tree right outside Grandpa's home in Carthage, he wanted to stay a few more days and build one.  Thank you, Grandpa for not letting me fall!! 
 Flat Stanley was excited to be in this picture with Sister Willson and Granny and Grandpa, (they call Granny and Grandpa Elder and Sister Lasher, but I like Granny and Grandpa too).  Sister Willson served in the Laoag, Philippines Mission at the same time Granny and Grandpa did, but they never met in the Philippines.  They had to finally meet in Carthage, Illinois, when Granny and Grandpa were working at the visitor's center.

 Flat Stanley helping Grandpa take the trash out and HOPING Grandpa holds on to me when he throws the trash away!  .... Whew!... he held on to me... (those one handed tosses kind of scare me)

Wow, Granny and Grandpa have a beautiful baby grand piano in their home in Carthage!  I love playing the piano!  Except I don't know how to play!  Oh well, at least I am working at it!
 Flat Stanley was a little nervous about this picture.  I was hoping Grandpa still had the key... I'm too young to be in jail and I want to see Courtney again!

 Flat Stanley takes a picture with Joseph and Hyrum in the Carthage Jail Visitor's Center.  These are two great men!

 


 Flat Stanley will be heading back home to Courtney!  Yea!  Yea!  I have had so much fun with Granny and Grandpa, Courtney.  Now you need to come with your family and see them too.  You will have a blast just like I did!!  See you soon!!

Ah, one of the sweet experiences of serving a mission in the Lord's Vineyard!  A visit from Flat Stanley and a visit from Sister Willson and our other very special guests here at the Historic Carthage Jail Visitor's Center.  

It has been a good day!  No, it has been a great day!  We love you!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the long story I really did like it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like flat Stanley had a great time! Little jealous that he got to see you first! Love all the hidden jokes!!! You've got a million of them! :)

    ReplyDelete