JellyPages.com

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

February 25, 2015 - Wednesday

I am not sure where the days are going.  This one went by pretty fast and we are home in our apartment warm and cozy.  It started snowing at about 5:00pm this afternoon and we have about 4 inches of snow now at 8:15pm.  The snow scape is beautiful and the sounds of the area are deafeningly quiet.  I love the snow and especially with warm shelter!

Our morning started off with our weekly missionary training meeting with President Gibbons.  We were taught how to be more effective missionaries with the summer tidal wave of guests coming beginning Memorial Day weekend.  We are excited to see how close to 60,000 guest we can come to this year.  Every year the numbers increase 30, 40 up to 50% over the previous year!

Sister Lasher and I got to work together today in the Family Living Center.  When you get a brochure of Nauvoo or if you would like us to send you one, you will be able to read about the sites that we serve in.  We spent the morning and early afternoon working there and we got to give a tour to a mother and her adult son.  They came to the Brickyard yesterday and I invited them to come and see us today, and they did!  In the Family Living Center we give demonstrations on spinning, weaving, candle making, bread making, rope making, barrel making and pottery making - all fascinating presentations with Gospel centered messages.  

It is especially interesting how everyone worked so well together in a harmonious way in the Nauvoo years - 1839-1846.  They had to, but they also wanted to and that added to their success. And, in an interesting way, this success of working so well together caused their forced exodus since the other people did not understand the concept of a Zion society.  In fact, the population of non Mormons were so afraid of the political influence the Mormons had in their voting power and their support of righteous candidates for office.  It would be such a blessing to have that influence today!  But the government leaders of that day were not interested in righteous dominion. They wanted to gain as much control over the people as they could to increase their personal power and, of course, wealth.  Control the people and you control the money.  Take away their guns and quiet their free speech through "political correctness", and you had them right where you wanted them.  Does that sound vaguely familiar?

Now, just a little personal side note from Elder Lasher.  Some of you are wondering if I am happy in serving this mission, especially with the experience in the Philippines.  Let me assure you that this is the most wonderful and awesome opportunity I have had to serve in the Church.  

Most of you know my history in service in the Church.  I loved serving as a Bishop!  Was that a difficult calling?  Absolutely, at times, and so completely fulfilling the rest of the time.  

Serving a mission is just as wonderful and fulfilling as it was serving the various ward families and individual ward members.  It took my time away from my precious family and there were things I had to carry concerning various family members in those wards that I could not share with anyone but the Lord.  But that never took away from the privilege it was to serve. There were things I was crazy about, like serving the youth and visiting with the Primary children in the Bishop's office on Sunday's.  Scout trips to Canada and Philmont and girls camps and youth firesides were some of my favorites.  Annual interviews with ward members was inspiring and always anticipated.  Visiting the families and widows of the ward were choice times.  Helping missionaries along the way to serving missions were highlights.  Counseling sessions were difficult and inspirational.  So many wonderful memories over the 12 years I got to serve....

Now, with serving as a full time missionary with my sweetheart is a married, "life long dream", and it finally came true.  We get to serve together and take our relationship to a higher level.  Now that is exciting!  But missing our friends and neighbors, roughing up grandchildren, counseling and talking to children, and not to mention missing cookie baking, baptisms, ordinations, baby blessings, yard work and watering trees, and Sunday Family dinners are and will be sorely absent in my life.  

Yes, I do worry about your livlihoods, I worry about the deli, I worry about expenses incurred in the mission field.  But I know that a kind Heavenly Father is in control and all the worrying in the world won't change that fact!  He is still in control! And the busier I get here, honestly, the less I worry about these things.

Additionally, dancing and singing and acting are not a part of the Bob you all know.  But, it is a part of this mission.  So, in order to make our mission more fulfilling, I will do my best to sing and dance and perform.  

I will cherish the brief emails and text messages and the letters and notes, until I can hold you and play with you again, my precious children and grandchildren and special friends.  You all know that there is no place that I would rather be...  except for now....

My point is, I will be the best most positive missionary I can be.  I will love and serve the guests and fellow missionaries to the best of my ability and I hope that ability grows and expands.  (It will have to for me - to sing and dance and perform!!)  

And my blog and messages will carry optimistic and positive overtones so that I can become what I long to become, and that is a better disciple of Jesus Christ.  In fact I want to be the best disciple I can be.

I absolutely love my family and sometimes 23 months seems like an eternity.  But as I indicated at the beginning of this blog, the time goes by quickly.  Friendships are made and solidified, and our influence in sharing the Gospel is better realized...  I am grateful for the trust that has been given to me to be here!

Can it get much better than this?   Well - Yes!  With your possible visits, and your notes and your encouragement, we can do hard things!  After all... these things shall give (me) experience and shall be for (my) good.  And may I add, for the good of my eternal sweetheart and my precious family!  We are both happy and grateful to be here!  Welcome to Nauvoo!



2 comments:

  1. We sure LOVE you two! It's all GOOD! :) :) You two are amazing and such great examples to so many people! Can't wait to start planning our trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are proud of you two for serving the Lord for two years! I'm sure you are doing amazing! Thanks for expressing your feelings 😊! We sure love you! 👍

    ReplyDelete