JellyPages.com

Thursday, October 4, 2018

4 October 2018 - Thursday

4 October 2018 - Thursday

Our priority work continued this morning.  Mom and I were scheduled to travel into Casper with Elder and Sister Hansen to purchase the dinner supplies for the mission's missionary dinner between Saturday's conference sessions.  We got to the correlation meeting and found out it was all hands on deck to cover the Fort Seminoe foundation with ground cover and dirt before the forecasted rains hit us this afternoon.  

However, the FM leaders did not fully comprehend Wyoming weather.  When the forecast states afternoon rains, you can almost count on morning rains.  That occurred as we were assembling to the dig site to get the priority work started.  And the senior missionaries forged ahead in the rain!

"Afternoon rains" that started 15 minutes after the forecast for "no morning rain"

Garden top soil turning into mud as we got about an inch of rain this morning.
Mom and I quickly changed from our trail clothes to our work clothes right after correlation.  We were on our way to the dig site when the clouds let loose with a lot of rain.  We had six senior missionary couples working in the rain to get this project under control.  I often wonder why we can't schedule these projects earlier in the Fall.  The entire month of September was warm, and dry, and our September projects consisted of different smaller things that were meant to just keep us busy.  We are happy to do the work and grateful for the opportunity to serve, but keep our assignments productive!

After becoming fully soaked from this effort, that took about 90 minutes, we ran out of dirt to spread.  The next load was about two hours away from arriving.   That is  when mom and I, and the Hansen's,
left this project and changed into dry trail clothing for our trip to Casper.  Mom and I were wet to the skin!  I made up a little drying rack in the wood-shop, for our soaked clothing, and we left for Casper.

Our first order of business was to drop off the recycled metals that had been collected all summer.  We loaded these items up yesterday.  The recycling place was just outside of Casper, and we got the metal unloaded by noon, and then headed in to town for lunch. 

This load of metal and aluminum netted the mission $29.02!
The Hansen's picked out the restaurant and it was one we have not tried before.  They had a decent menu and we placed our orders.  When we got our food, Sister Hansen had some plastic clip embedded in her salad.  The waiter was gracious and took the order back and was very efficient in bringing back the replacement.  Then the shift manager came to the table, very apologetic, and took off the price of her meal and then gave us all dessert.  

I appreciated the excellent customer service, but the food was less than appealing.  Mom and I later decided that we would not come to this restaurant again.  But then, again, we only have, at the most, one more preparation day in Casper!!  

We got back to the Homestead a little before 4:00pm.  Sister Hansen took the time to give me a much needed haircut.  This will be my last haircut in the mission field!!  I posted a picture of my first haircut by Sister Hansen back in May.  Now I am posting a picture of my last haircut in October!

Oh happy day!  Getting ready for the family reunion!
This was a fun day with our exciting "priority" project at the Fort, and our subsequent trip to Casper.  We had fun with the Hansen's in getting to know them a little better.  And Elder Hansen was, again, very thankful for the suit we shared with him.  Isn't it wonderful when people appreciate the things you do for them?  It is a firm reminder for me to better show my appreciation when others extend any form of kindness to me!  

I did get a chance to thank Samantha at Sam's on behalf of Josie.  She was there at the Customer Service booth as I filled out my experience card, and when I spoke to store management.  She was beaming, Josie, and in the process, she smiled and held up another cell phone that had just been turned in!  She also told me that Brandon, the cart clerk, was the one that found the phone in the shopping cart.  Both will be acknowledged on my on-line customer appreciation survey!

3 comments:

  1. Yikes, I hope you guys don’t get sick!! That doesn’t seem like a good job for precious senior missionaries 😳.
    Hope you sleep well and warm tonight!!❤️
    We were all hoping we’d get a surprise arrival from you tomorrow, but doesn’t sound like they’re going to send you home ahead of the snow forecasted, darn it! But we will see you in less than 2 weeks!🎉

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping you're still hearing out tomorrow!! 🤞🏻 And hopefully none of the senior missionaries get sick from their hard labor in the rain!

    We sure love!😍

    ReplyDelete